Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New England photo's

tokaysunlimited

Reaction score
Well i have tons and tons of photo's.So i will start with todays finds.We are going out tonight thanks to the rainy weather.:cool:There are tons of vernal pools on my property and my bosses.So if anyone is in the area just let me know and i can show you some good spots providing you dont destroy the spots.
Well if its ok here is a run down on what we have found just in our area.
Ambystoma maculatum,Ambystoma opacum,Ambystoma laterale,Ambystoma jeffersonianum (and hybrids of the 2),Notophthalmus v.viridescens,Hemidactylium scutatum,Plethodon c.cinereus,and we are still trying to find some Desmognathus f.fuscus.
Well here are just a couple pics of the land in this spot.
Then are some pics of the A.maculatum eggs i found.They were in a dried up vernal pool,and partially ripped.So i stole it before anything ate them.And so far there are about 30 eggs that have hatched and about 30+ that are on there way.
And now some pics!
IMG_2670-1.jpg

IMG_2671-1.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

Where i found them and when i got them back to the house.I will update the pics tommorrow!
IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2678-1.jpg

Littlelotl

Reaction score
what is the legality of collecting eggs in the us? I am pretty sure I would be breaking the law if I did that in the uk. (That why I keep away from areas like that this time of year so as not to disturb the newts during breeding season)

Nathan050793

Reaction score
what is the legality of collecting eggs in the us? I am pretty sure I would be breaking the law if I did that in the uk. (That why I keep away from areas like that this time of year so as not to disturb the newts during breeding season)

I'm fairly sure that the U.K is rather different. It is true that species such as the Great crested newt are protected and it is illegal to collect the adults, juveniles, or eggs. In the U.S. however, depending on state laws, collecting species such as A.maculatum is perfectly legal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1