Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

1st Time feeding live food

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

For the first time in their lives my five year old axies have had live food.

I hovered anxiously over their tank last night, worm bowl in hand as my axies waited expectantly with their eyes shining brightly. I withdrew one worm, the tension mounting. I secured the wriggling worm in my fingers and lowered it toward my plucky little Leia.

Some history on Leia. She is a finicky little pain in the neck, who will only accept small morsels of food and is not a 'great eater'. She is the one axolotl who I was sure would give me problems.

I was ready to encourage her, as I've read on the forum that the first time sensation of wriggling food in the axies mouth can 'discomfort' the axolotl, they may spit it out and one may need to console them and then try again...giving them 'time' to adjust to a new experience.:eek:

She grabbed it! She sucked it in like spagetti and then blew it out part way savouring the new taste, sucked it in again (I started to feel so sorry for the worm), moved it around looking enraptured, gulped it down and burped. Unlike her namesake, she can be a little un-lady-like...

I fed the other two (I wasn't worried about them, they're veterans when it comes to eating :rolleyes:), down the hatch the worm went! It was Leia's turn again.

The next worm had a cunning plan and decided to hide in a rock gap. Leia stalked it, and started moving around the rock planning where to meet the worm, she almost looked cat like in her hunt - it was so cute...she got it.

Eowyn and Vader were attracted over by the excitement and enjoyed the partaking of a second helping of worm as well...just not with quite as much enthusiasm as their counterpart! :eek:

After being squeamish for five years, I felt so sorry for the worms, but comforted myself knowing that one day I would be food for them and would thus make it up to their ancestors consumed by my axies...unless I'm cremated and then it's just too bad! Better luck next time worms!! ;)

Ah well, I've done it now which will make it easier on me the next time.

Thank you to all who have posted over the years on their experience on feeding live worms to caudata - it really does help those of us who are squeamish about taking the plunge.

Cheers Jacq.

moony1988

Reaction score
Good work Jacq,
I think the hardest part is gripping those little wiggly nutrition bars.. having big clumsy male hands, the worms seem to always want to slip out of my hand or climb up my hand away from the water.. Poor little guys, i wonder if they are aware of the doom that awaits them.

Moony

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Jacq you never cease to get me laughing out loud. "The worm had a cunning plan" indeed.

I'm with Moony. My hands shake all the time and I'm a nervous sort anyway, and when Lotte sees me she goes onto total frenzy, swimming up till her nose is out of the water, standing on my hand and sniffing everywhere. Axel is worse. He sits still like he couldn't care less, and then SNAPS the worm out of my hand. Scares me every single time and I jump and splash water everywhere. That's probably half his fun - dinner with entertainment.

As to the worms, what could possibly give more meaning to their existence than becoming food for an axolotl. They'd have to get a passport and then book a flight to Mexico and crawl through the city and across the dessert and up the mountain and into the polluted glacier lake to have this amazing opportunity you are providing them for free!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good work Jacq,
I think the hardest part is gripping those little wiggly nutrition bars.. having big clumsy male hands, the worms seem to always want to slip out of my hand or climb up my hand away from the water.. Poor little guys, i wonder if they are aware of the doom that awaits them.

Moony

Thanks Moony! :D

I've got big girls hands myself and very long fingers (my mum said I'd make a great spiderwoman) - after learning the piano and clarinet all that dexterity has finally paid off...

Not in concerts, not in fame, not in money, just in feeding poor innocent worms to axolotls! ;)

Hmmm, money....Ah well, I wonder if there is any scripts for a spiderwoman....I could get another TANK!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scares me every single time and I jump and splash water everywhere. That's probably half his fun - dinner with entertainment.

I love them so much :eek:

As to the worms, what could possibly give more meaning to their existence than becoming food for an axolotl. They'd have to get a passport and then book a flight to Mexico and crawl through the city and across the dessert and up the mountain and into the polluted glacier lake to have this amazing opportunity you are providing them for free!

:lol: I never thought of it that way before! Yeah, they OWE us! I can't think of a greater honour than to be consumed by an axolotl and what thanks do we get eh?! Just a load of wriggling!

Thanks Eva! :wink:

ali000

Reaction score
Beautiful story:D

but you think that was bad, you should try having to cut them up :eek:

I also shake a lot when holding the worms, I worry i'm going to squeeze too tight :sick: so I hold them with plastic tongs now.. much easier;)

another method that I saw on here somewhere and I'm trying out with my new babies, is put the food in a glass jar full of tank water and lay it on the bottom of the tank, then the axies can walk inside and get the food, I'm trying this with bloodworm, so when they have finished eating you can just lift the jar back out and throw any leftovers away... no mess! :D

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
but you think that was bad, you should try having to cut them up :eek:

I think I'm ready...:uhoh:...I shall be strong...

I had purchased a sharp paring knife for the grisly purpose. When I fed the axies last night, my gran came in to watch the sacrificial offering - she loves my axies almost as much as I do and is their babysitter while I am at work - I might get her to to cut the worms up if my nerve breaks! ;) She's a rock!

another method that I saw on here somewhere and I'm trying out with my new babies, is put the food in a glass jar full of tank water and lay it on the bottom of the tank, then the axies can walk inside and get the food, I'm trying this with bloodworm, so when they have finished eating you can just lift the jar back out and throw any leftovers away... no mess! :D

Let me know how it goes! :D

ali000

Reaction score
I think I'm ready...:uhoh:...I shall be strong...

I had purchased a sharp paring knife for the grisly purpose. When I fed the axies last night, my gran came in to watch the sacrificial offering - she loves my axies almost as much as I do and is their babysitter while I am at work - I might get her to to cut the worms up if my nerve breaks! ;) She's a rock!
Hubby does mine for me :eek: he uses a pair of scissors and cuts them over the tank so the bits just drop straight in, he says when he does it he tries thinking of other things... anything except what he's actually doing

blueberlin

Reaction score
Somewhere in this vast site is a step-by-step instruction sheet with color pictures. They use a razor blade - you know, the flat rectangular ones I've never known what people do with. Me, I'd probably hack off all my fingertips with such a thing. Then the worm AND the axolotls would be laughing at me.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Ok, note taken - remind me not to take you up on an offer to come over and chop worms for you!

Lisa

Reaction score
Mine love earthworms, my kids still have a fit when I feed them and I've only had to chop them up once and it was horrible. Thank heavens they eat them whole ever since. I think my kids would call the police if I tried chopping one up in front of them :eek:. Wormicide.

moony1988

Reaction score
haha thought you were German not French ;)

Anyway, Eva how are the rest of your axies going after the mixed tank parameters? Still look well i hope!

Moony

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1