Tank for Eight Adult Axies

Jen1215

Reaction score
Country
United States
On axolotl.org I seen that under the housing and filtraton article that a

120 cm long x 31 cm wide x 38 cm tall (48 x 12 x 15 inches)) aquarium could hold eight adults.

Now to me that seems crowded...How big do axolotls get? I couldn't find that on the site either.

I searched the dimensions and found that it was approximately close to a 33 gallon long, [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]33 Long[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 12 7/8[/FONT]inches
OR a
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]40 Long[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 16 7/8[/FONT]
inches

That still seems overcrowded to me, 30 gallons or 40 gallons, for eight of these guys. :confused:

The tank I have for three axies is (according to online calculator) nearly 60 US gallons/223 litres. The way I saw to calculate tank size is one and half feet for one axie and then an addiditional foot for each additional axie.
I got my tank made to 3 1/2 feet x 1 1/2 feet x 1 1/2 feet with the extra half foot on the width to give more floor space compared to the ones the shop stocked.

Perhaps the volume quoted is in UK gallons?

120 cm long seems a bit too little for 8 to me, too.

As a general rule of thumb, you want at least a foot per axolotl. Thus, 120cm is inadequate. You'd want to be looking for something around 240cm (approximately 95in).

Jay.

Wow thats a long tank! (not to mention a whole lot of water... damn water restrictions in Australia)

Seems like a pretty time consuming effort... looking after 8 special little guys!

But if anybody is going to do it... it should be someone from this forum!

Moony

Last edited:
I could see the general rule of thumb per axie as ten gallons, or maybe even 15 gallons per one.

Becuase of the heavy bioload they have, and the type of food they eat can be messy....Like goldfish have a ten gallon rule of thumb per goldfish because they are heavy on a bio load...Gallons in U.S.

My understanding is that a tank that size would house three adult axies comfortably with adequate hiding spots. I have two adults in a tank that size and could have another, but won't be as it seems just right for two, but then I'm a softy. For those of us in Australia with water issues, my water changes go on the garden/grass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back