Toxic water

Kiowa

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Kirst
Hello

I have finally recieved my test kits. The readings indicated my water is toxic :mad:and I've been cleaning weekly so should I clean daily untill the ammonia is gone (I've started daily now). I have found a way to actually get all the feces and other subtances under the pebbles. I am really worried:( and I also heard all chemicals are not safe for axolotls so does that mean I can't use Ammonia Detoxifier (AMMO LOCK).

Thank you.:rolleyes:

Hello Kiowa,

The products that claim to detoxify ammonia don't do this at all. Basically, all it does is convert ammonia to ammonium which is less toxic but still toxic nonetheless. Also the ammonium resides in the tank until removed by activated carbon or water changes.

What is the reading for your ammonia anyway?

You are doing the right thing already by doing partial water changes on a daily basis. This should reduce the ammonia level in no time. Also, I can understand how tempting it may be to rectify the situation by adding chemicals but keep in mind that these chemicals are just band-aids and nothing more.

Don't fret, I (and others) have been in a similar circumstance and have always risen above the problem :happy:

Jay.

Hello

The ammonia has greatly reduced and thank you notifying not use the Ammonia Detoxifier.

See you later:rolleyes:

Hi Kiowa,

I would stay away from any chemical tank additives. As Jay suggests they do little to fix the problem and often introduce more hassles than they alleviate.

Daily 20% water changes for a week and then drop to every other day for a week and then every third day.

Are you familiar with the cycling process? Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has loads of great advice and help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back