Axolotl owner from Utrecht, Netherlands

KarinAxies

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Karin
Hello there!

My name is Karin, I´m a girl living in Utrecht and I have two axies. And they´re so pretty! :D
One is called Spot (named after her freckles), the other is called Frenzy (named after his/her eating habits).
I have some films posted on youtube is you like: http://www.youtube.com/karinutrecht
They live in a tank of about three feet. They have rocks and caves which they love to climb upon and sit in. They also have two fish, and despite common believes, there are situations where the axies snap at the fish in stead of the other way 'round :rolleyes:

First I bought Spot, and when Spot was about 18 centimers I bought Frenzy, who was then just a baby of 4 centimeters. I raised Frenzy in a see through plastic aquarium of his own, which was floating in the big tank.
When Frenzy was big enough to be put in the big tank with Spot, I sat on a chair for hours to see whether Spot would snap at Frenzy, but nothing happened. Literally nothing, neither of them moved an inch. You know axies! :p
After two days, they got aquainted and now they enjoy each others company. They like to sit/lay in a way that their tails are touching, and their heads are pointed the other way. Sort of like: I know you're there, but I don't have to see you ;)
The only time Spot (who is still about 5 centimers bigger than juveline Frenzy) snaps at his little friend, is when Frenzy is hogging the food by sitting on top of it. I too would snap at anyone doing that, probably :D. It's a good thing to see that Spot only snaps a little and she lets go quickly, leaving Frenzy with no marks but with a lesson learnt.

I have had two axolotls before, years ago. They were Godzilla and Tommy. I left them with my ex when I moved out, because I wasn't going to have a steady home for a year to go, and it was best for the axies to leave them in their own environment. They no longer are with us, I ljust liked to mention them as a sort of in memoriam :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope to find (and maybe give) good information about having axies. I also am interested in your stories. I love reading how every axolotl has his own character and habits. It's great to have found a forum with an axolotl section! :tongue:
See you around!

Hi Karin!

I'm watching your videos now. What beautiful axolotls you have! Watching Frenzy in the nursery basket is the first time I've seen a baby walking on its nw legs - I have larvae and they are just starting to get toes on their back legs now. So cute!

I'd still be scared of Spot eating Frenzy (or the little pebbles in the aquarium), but my axolotls haven't eaten their larvae either.

Anyway, nice to "meet" you and your axolotls, and welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

Spot is really beautiful, lovely gills.

What fish are in the tank?, I would be very concerned about the size of the pebbles, have you thought about sand instead, much safer.

Welcome to the forum :D

Thank you for your warm welcomes! :happy:

These are the two fish in the aquarium:
images
and
images

Both are about 8 centimeters.

Oh and two of these by the way:
images

and those keep so much to themselves, it's never a problem.

And pebbles, yes I have heard they can cause problems, and I have heard sand is better.
I always watch them as they eat however, and they don't seem to have any trouble with the pebbels. They don't eat them, as I have heard some axies do.
Thank you for noticing, I appreciate all tips :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back