Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

General info on UK newts

DB

Reaction score
Afternoon all. Just some minor questions really.

I know Newts are protected in the UK. I've got 2 ponds with stream (water cycled to top pond where fish are) and in the lower pond i've left it as a "swamp" pond, purley for the newts. We noticed them when we moved in a couple of years ago, and each year we seem to have about 10-20 newts come and go.

This years batch are still growing. Some look like large tadpoles still, others are full size newts. Thing is i had to pull out some moss n such as it was clogging the pump in the pond, of which i think i've removed some eggs??? I can't find much online, they are small yellow eggs embedded in the weeds. I've left a load in there, mainly for feeding, playing etc. Are they newt eggs? Probably about 2mm in size.

I don't want to change the pond at all, but is there anything I can do to help the little things? The pond is covered in wire fencing also, so its perfectly safe, but i do need to clean it up every so often, so is there anything I can do to not ruin their home (I HAVE to clear the pond to stop clogging up a £200 pump!)?

Also, in our top pond in the last few days i've spotted a yellow looking newt. Its not like all the other normal ones, anyone know what this one could be? Brave little sod, was swimming around a frogs rear legs the other day, seemed like he was just playing.

Anyone answer any questions?
Ta..

philbaker76

Reaction score
Hi mate, I'd love Newts in my pond :)

Sound like they are Great Crested Newts - very rare in Europe and protected (although, lots in UK).

All I can suggest is you clean your ponds out when they aren't spawning - end of year if possible. Then you won't disturb the frogs either.

Cheers, Phil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!