Fridging

GutterRoxy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was curious, is there a limit to how long you can keep your axolotls in the fridge? My little guys have been in for just over a week because we've been having a bit of a heat wave here and it doesn't seem to be letting up. Just want to know if it's okay for me to keep them in there until the heat lets up, or whether this will eventually cause problems of its own.

It is perfectly safe for you to leave your axies in your fridge for a few weeks, I don't believe there is a set limit as to how long to keep them in there. It's better for them than to get all stressed out because of the heat that's for sure. As long as your fridge temp. is no colder than 5ºC and as long as you change their water daily with dechlorinated water they should be just fine.
Hope this helps you.

I have heard of people keeping their axolotls fridged for over a month with no hassles. I've had mine in for close to three weeks in a heat wave and he was fine after I removed him. The main issue is that your axolotls probably won't eat, but as the cold slows down their metabolism it should not be a huge problem. If yours have only been in for a week I would not worry as long as you are keeping their water changed and the temperature above 5C.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back