safe for salamander?

bitsygiggles

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Am I being over paranoid!? We have some baby salamanders (not sure what type yet) I was about to create a tank for them, but I picked it up from a heavy smoker, and the tank reeks! I have wiped and rinsed and it still just smells so terrible of smoke. Would this effect the water quality?? :eek:

Scrub the tank out with hot water that has salt and baking soda in it and it should be fine.

yes i would go along with that, just dont use any household cleaning products.

Ben

If you want, you can bleach the tank. Fill it with a 10:1 water to bleach solution and let it set. Then rinse rinse rinse, and rinse some more. Then fill and super-dose with dechlorinator, and do it again. This will help sanitize as well.

Thanks guys :)
I usually clean with a salt solution for my fish aquariums, but since I am new to this, I was worried that if any residual salt remained.. but it is aquatic salt, that should be safe then? thanks so much, what a relief, they are in a tiny little container right now (clean water) but really want to set them up in a good place. What type of substrate is best for young salamanders? (tadpole tail still) they are eating blood worms happily, though the small gravle I have in their container is grasped at the same time and spat out. I don't want to risk (what I hear is common) them having small stones lodged in their guts.
thanks again!

Salt is fine, just rinse really well.

For larvae, bare-bottom is the best. It prevents ingestion, and it's easier to clean. It's not as visually appealing, but it's just temporary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back