Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axolotls in hong kong??

marg

Reaction score
I am in Hong Kong though and went to tung choi street in Mong Kok where they sell all the aquarium fish and reptiles but couldn't find any axolotls. I asked one of the reptile store owners and they said that they weren't sure who would stock them because they were difficult to maintain given HK weather getting so hot/humid in the summer. With air conditioning I am not sure how relevant this is but in any case does anyone know if its possible to get one in HK? One of my friends showed me their Uparupa in Japan and am interested in getting one myself.

marg

Reaction score
my other option would be to buy from elsewhere (ie Japan) and bring it back to HK hand carry.
I would only do so if I knew I had all the basics for care in place and accessible beforehand (ie tank, and whatever else is needed)
at bare minimum what items at aquarium store should I make sure is available before considering this option?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It is illegal to transport axolotls, a CITES II endangered species, internationally without appropriate paperwork (CITES permits, import/export permits, etc).

Another thought to take into consideration is what if your air conditioning fails? Your axolotl will cook.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Marg,

Pet shops are often quite ignorant about axolotls. Just searching through this forum will give you hours of reading about pet shop error. Many are also, sadly, more focused on the commercial aspect of holding an animal than on correct animal husbandry - and they would probably only have an axolotl in their care for a few weeks or months.

So if even those people say that it is difficult to keep an axolotl, this might be a loud warning of the level of expertise necessary to care for one over several years in HK. Although they are admittedly charming, axolotls are also delicate animals. It would be a shame for you to go to an enormous amount of trouble to get one, only to watch helplessly as it dies a horrible death.

I don't mean to be gloomy - and in any case, welcome to the Forum. :D

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1