Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Off Colour

Sandra

Reaction score
Hello Everybody

Last weekend I changed my substrate from pea gravel to sand. I was very careful and waited until the water was well settled before I put my newts back in (out of thier normal tank in a temporary tank for roughly 36 hours although it was water from their original setting that they were in). One of my newts' colour seems to be going more to dark brown instead of his usual black and I have found him just floating on top of the water twice within the last two days. He is eating well and is active when he realises that someone is there. Is he OK or does he need some help? If so - can you please advise?

Cheers

Sandra

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you rinse the sand well before setting up the tank? What kind of sand is it (or where was it obtained)?

In addition to the change in substrate, was this also a 100% water change?

Sandra

Reaction score
Hello

Many thanks for the response. - I think I hit the wrong buttons this morning - my response to you seems to have disappeared. Hope I have got it right this time

I have used play sand and I did rinse it out. It was a 50% water change and they were kept in the holding tank in what was left of the water from their original tank; the filter was kept in water at all times although it wasn't active for about 2 hours, while I made the change from gravel to sand. After I had lifted them on to a land area they all made immediately for the water including this wee soul. Everybody else is good and as active and lively as they were before the change (he is too at times). I don't know if it is wishful thinking or imagination, but he looked a wee bit darker last night. I feed them on frozen bloodworms, frozen amphibian food or live maggots. Could he just be in need of a wee pick-me-up?

Cheers

Sandra

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1