How can I choose what type of axolotls I will breed?

newbie2

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi I currently have a axolotl that is albino yellow and i was wondering pairing him up with what type of female would produce what type of young.

ie albino and albino = Albino young?
albino and white = albino white?

can anyone help me with what breeds and colors produce what young? I haven't decided on a partner for him yet.

Re: How can i chose what type of axolotls i will breed?

Two white albinos (a/a, d/d) will create all white albino larvae.

A white albino (a/a, d/d) and a golden albino (a/a, D/x) will create a mix of golden and white albino larvae.

Two golden albinos (a/a, D/x) could create either a mix of golden and white albino larvae, or all golden, depending on whether both parents are recessive for the leucistic gene (the dominant leucistic gene is what causes them to be golden. If they are recessive carriers, some of the larvae will be white).

If you mate your golden albino with a non-albino, if the non-albino is a recessive carrier of the albino gene, you'll get 25% albino offspring, with a mix of others. It depends on what they carry. For instance, if you mate your golden albino (a/a, D/x) with a leucistic (what we call 'white', but with black eyes (A/x, d/d), you could possibly get albinos (golden and white albino), if the leucistic is recessive for albino. If the golden albino is heterozygous for leucistic (D/D), you'll get 25% leucistic larvae.

It all depends on what you want as far as offspring.

Re: How can i chose what type of axolotls i will breed?

thanks for that mate. quite helpful

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back