Underdeveloped?

vanillaXtiffy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Vanilla
My larvae are about a month old, and they still don't even have their front legs. They have little leg buds, but that's about it. Also, they used to have feathery gills like the larvae on axolotl.org, but now they're not as feathery and the ends are kinda black. Any idea what's wrong or how I can fix it?

If you could post a pic it might help get a better idea.

In this situation a pic wouldn't help any better than my description. They're so small that whenever I take pictures of them they don't come out, even on 100% magnification. The gills are just the stalks and the very tips are black. All they have for legs so far is stubs.

it may be some sort of non fertalisation or a case of a parisite
the water tempreture may be to cold or hot the food may be cuasing a problem:frog:

Waterpuppy, please use punctuation in your posts, as its difficult to read without it. What do you mean by 'non fertilization'? If the eggs weren't fertilized, they wouldn't have developed into larvae.

Personally, every batch of babies develops differently. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've had 'midgets' which were very slow to develop, but eventually caught up. Just feed them the most nutritious food you can.

I have about 6 larvae left out of the 12 I received. Most of them seem to have their front legs developing and they're about 1 month old. I think only one of them may not have their front legs(the smallest of the bunch). How big are your larvae?

Personally, every batch of babies develops differently. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've had 'midgets' which were very slow to develop, but eventually caught up. Just feed them the most nutritious food you can.

I agree with Kaysie - I wouldn't worry about it.

I had some I raised at my house, and some at my parents house. My parents house is a lot warmer, they developed really quickly. At mine, they took ages.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back