Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rainwater?

Urgh

Reaction score
Well, it's been raining quite a lot lately, and it got me thinking: Would rain water be better for Dutchess's tank than dechlorinated tap water? I will be investing in a rainwater tank quite soon, because I'm getting frogs for my birthday, (pending my licence application, fingers crossed!!)and dechlorinator is toxic to them, and summer in Western Australia is basically devoid of all rain. So I will have to use winter to gather supplies for summer. Or would distilled water work? I was wondering because well, it seems such a waste to ignore the pouring rain if it's better for Dutchess than dechlorinated tap water.

Abrahm

Reaction score
dechlorinator is toxic to them

Dechlorinator shouldn't be toxic to them.

As for rain water it should be fine. The pH and general hardness of rain water will be quite low as it is very close to distilled water. Using some of the products for cichlids to harden water, soaking crushed sea shells or coral or mixing with tap water should all help add minerals and other important dissolved things to the water and safely raise the pH a bit too.

Kal El

Reaction score
Or would distilled water work?

You can use distilled water but the only problem is that it's too soft for axolotls. This is for axolotls and not frogs, right? You can harden distilled water with the methods provided by Abrahm or you can supplement it with salts, i.e. Holtfreter's solution (more information is provided in the link below):

http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/guide.htm

Distilled water also have the advantage of being free of impurities.

By the way, it is great to see that you have decided to use rainwater. The drought in Australia is progessively getting worse.

Jay.

Urgh

Reaction score
The rain/distilled water would be for both the frogs and Dutchess. I'd just harden only her water.
It would save me a small fortune, too. Not just in the cost of water, but in dechlorinator, too. It's disgusting that the cheapest bottle I can get is about $8, and it only lasts about two weeks.(I'm cycling two tanks, so daily 20% water changes till that's all good, because I didn't cycle pre-fish/axie.) There's not many pet stores near me, and I (quite suckily) live closest to the most expensive one, and don't drive, so I walk there when I need dechlorinator.

This drought is getting really bad. It rained all day today, and it barely drenched the top soil. I really pity the poor people who rely so much on rain to make a living.

Abrahm

Reaction score
The rain/distilled water would be for both the frogs and Dutchess. I'd just harden only her water.

Actually, many terrestrial species are more adversely affected by distilled water than aquatic species (not that you shouldn't harden Duchess's water). Some terrestrial frogs died within a relatively short time when they were only exposed to distilled water. Obviously your frogs will be able to absorb water from the substrate so the situation is different but a soaking bowl with some hardened water would probably be best for the frogs. Use pure rain water for misting the tank, it will cut down on water spots and gain minerals and stuff from the substrate and dust.

I would recommend slowly using more and more rain water in your axie's cage to lessen the shock of changing hardness. Moving from a high to a low is more stress than the opposite.

Out of curiosity what dechlorinator do you use? The one I use treats 500 gallons and is $7US.

What frogs are you looking to keep? I don't know much about Australian frogs but from my readings you guys have some really interesting species like the Cyclorana.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Gosh, $8 for two weeks is outrageous. I've been using the same bottle for some time now (months). I treat about 10 gallons at a time, and even at the recommended dose (I use half-doses for dechlorinator, as I feel the full dose is not needed), you shouldn't be going through that much.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to use rain water for my axolotl changes, but do check the hardness. I put bird grit in the bottom of my water butt to make it harder. The only downside is I do get various water creatures growing now in the tank, so far these have caused no problems.

Urgh

Reaction score
I'm getting four Green Tree Frogs- I'm not so great with scientific names, which is pretty bad for someone who wants to study Vet science in six months!!! I will definately take your advice, using both hardened and rain water for my froggies. At $75 for four, plus $20 a year for a licence, they aren't going to be a cheap investment- But will most DEFINATELY be worth it.

I will shove a few buckets outside, to start desensitising Dutchess, because I won't be getting my water tank for some time yet. I'm sure she will let me know if she doesn't like it- She bites when I do something she doesn't like. (Eg, if I so much as TOUCH her cave. She fills it with filth, and then bites onto my hand when I try and clean it out, little cow!! She actually tried to EAT one of the plastic plants in her tank, because she didn't like it. I had to take it out, but she didn't like losing any hiding places, so I ended up swapping it for one in my guppy tank. She's definately living up to her name- She's one spoilt little Dutchess!!!)

The reason I'm going through so much dechlorinator at the moment is because I'm doing daily 20% water changes, on two pretty large tanks. The $8 bottle is pretty small. The larger sizes are even more rediculous in price. I have to get more tomorrow, I ran out today- I had to combine half and half with the Betta dechlorinator I have to finish the guppy tank properly. I cannot remember the brand, but I think I'm going to start cutting the dosage down, because I think the bottle says to put too much in. Plus, I really suck at estimating. I have a 9.6L bucket, but I can't carry it when it's that full, so I have to sort of.... Guess how full if got it, so I'm probably using to much dechlorinator.

Thankyou all for your responses XD I shall go sleep on this information, it's 4.12am and I have to be up in 5 hours!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1