Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey, new guy here...

Heorte

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I'm new to Axolotl
I have two little ones whom I share with my partner (I'm trying to get her to join)
Hime & Hide

I go to college its boring as hell I only joined to look after someone
I am a huge fan of Doom Metal and J-rock
I have my lip pierced three times my tongue once and my ear several times I also shave off my eyebrows
I play Bass guitar and I sing (I can play various little melodies on keyboard)

Im going to detail my tank and its contents please let me know if im doing something wrong or i need some more stuff

I have a glass tank filled with sand wich I rinsed before adding it to the tank
I have a manta filter (I fear its too powerful because they dont seem to be able to swim to good when its on going to try and get a smaller one tomorrow)
I use a decholrinater with added Alo vera
a Log ornimant for them to hide in
and a plant ornimant
I feed them frozen bloodworm

They seem to be happy as when the filter is off they like to swim around so I tend to only leave the filter on for periods at a time

So nice to meet you all I look forward to conversing

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello Heorte,

The only comments I have to what you wrote are that you will need more than one hiding place (e.g., hollow log ornament) because you have more than one axolotl, and that it is better to feed them different kinds of things for a varied diet (they do well with earthworms, which should be easy to find).

Other than that, I just want to say welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the site.
Its a good idea to go get another less powerful filter for your axolotl tank. They really don't like much of a water current and all it does is stress them which can then lead on to other problems healthwise.

Dechlorinator is fine, just be careful not to use other chemicals in the tank unless you ask in here first. Axolotls are very different to fish and some pet/fish stores may try to sell you chemicals/medications that are fine with fish but extremely harmful to axolotls.

Apart from frozen bloodworm you can also feed them earthworms (from your garden if you have one). Just make sure that no chemicals or pesticides have been used in the patch of ground you take them from. You can also get earthworms from bait shops, they usually sell them in tubs. Slugs and snails are also good. Remove the shells from snails (yucky). I also feed mine, prawns, liver and chunks of fish for a treat now and then. These are handy to keep in the freezer and that way you can just break off what you need without wastage.

Do you know how old your axolotls are? If not how long are they? That could be an indication of age.
Did you cycle your tank before you added the axolotls? If you didn't then you will have to be extra watchful over your water conditions for the next few weeks. Plenty of small frequent water changes will be helpful. Have fun with your axolotls.

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, nice to meet you!

I didn't read your post in detail, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice. My only comment is that I do NOT recommend the water conditioners that have aloe vera in them. This has no known advantage, and it has the disadvantage that it adds nutrients to the tank. If you have a newly-setup tank, then the other thing you need are test kits for ammonia, etc.

Good luck!

Heorte

Reaction score
They were brought into this world last easter. I didnt get the time to cycle the tank so I am being very careful with the water and thank you =]

Heorte

Reaction score
Nice to meet you to. and ok I will refrain from using the alo vera one =]

Kal El

Reaction score
Hello Heorte,

Aloe vera serves no purpose for the axolotl or any aquatic species for that matter. Aloe vera is commonly used to soothe burns because it has a numbing effect on the nerve endings. It is also used to prevent damaged skin from drying out. In the case of an aquarium, where the axolotl is always submerged in water, I'm pretty confident in saying that the axolotl will never have to worry about drying out.

Jay.

Heorte

Reaction score
haha I agree with that. the lady I bought them from told me that alo vera acts as a softener and that the axalotl needed to be soft. I found it weird that she made them sound like laundry

Kal El

Reaction score
alo vera acts as a softener and that the axalotl needed to be soft. I found it weird that she made them sound like laundry

:lol: Next, she will be selling you shampoo and conditioner to leave their gills smooth and silky.

Axolotls have mucous glands that will secrete mucous (as the name implies); this effectively builds their slime coat, which provides protection against potential bacteria and pathogens.

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1