Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm Expert Required

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently been feeding my axies on what I assumed to be the most nourishing type of earthworm, but I think they are actually 'red wrigglers' as a pungeant smell wofted into my nose the other night as I engaged in a cutting frenzy to make a big worm palatable for my hungry little carnivores :rolleyes:.

When presented to little Aragorn he stuck his nose into the worm, looked at me as if to say "Are you kidding me?!", grimaced, and then marched to the back of the tank to sulk!

In looking at wormfarms in Australia, the only nightcrawler I can seem to find is the 'African Nightcrawler' not the 'Canadian Nightcrawler' that is recommended in the 'Care Info Articles'. Is there a nutricional difference between these two types of worms?

Is the African Nightcrawler safe for axies? I can't seem to get the Canandian Nightcrawler here.

Cheers Jacq.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the smell, and the reaction of your axie, I'm sure those were some kind of red wiggler worm. If you can find small ones and feed them whole, you may get a more enthused reaction (or not).

Sorry, I don't know anything about African nightcrawlers. Someone else just posted an inquiry about them in the Live Foods section of the forum.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Oh, duh me. :eek:

Well, maybe just give it a go and see what happens? :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1