Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Diet and growth.

inkozana

Reaction score
I am feeding my 3 axolotls beef ox heart, tubifex cubes and small feeder fish. Is this diet okay? They have very squishy, full stomachs.

Also, one of my axolotls tails was hit by fungus a while ago, the fungus is all gone but the tail is small as some of it has died or something :/

How long will it take to grow back? Thanks :wacko:

gr33neyes

Reaction score
I would try not to feed too much of the heart and add more of the feeder fish if you can. Also slugs snails and worms from the garden are all good as long as no chemicals are used where you take them from. I also feed mine prawns and liver as an occassional treat.

As for tail regrowth it depends on how much tail was lost and how old the axies are. Mine usually regrow a tail tip back to fullness within a month. You may notice it looks different from the rest of the tail. Its nothing to worry about.

philbaker76

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the info. I'm going to make a compost heap and then some worms will thrive in it. That's okay isn't it?

I get the odd worm from the compost heap - but I was told the other day (from a fish keeper) that they could be toxic - something to do with the concerntration of different types of rotting matter.

Only hear-say; and I'm not sure if they'll be toxic to Axolotls - I assume it depends what goes in your compost heap and how many worms you feed from it. :)

Saspotato

Reaction score
I would try not to feed too much of the heart and add more of the feeder fish if you can.

I agree with the first part as that kind of meat is not a good stable, but not sure about the second. What type of feeder fish are you using inkozana? Some aren't that nutritious as they can be fatty. Guppies are the best I have found.

Salmon pellets are a really good staple food too, if you can't get earthworms.

inkozana

Reaction score
My feeder fish.. I don't know what type they are :( They were just labelled feeder fish at the store..
They're smallish grey ones.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Ok fair enough. It would good to find out as you can then research how nutritious they are. The store will be able to tell you.

ali000

Reaction score
Stef, we have kept many fish and still do, post a piccy of your feeder fish and I will try to identify it for you:D

Kriltex

Reaction score
Your best bet would be to buy some live worms from a bait and tackle shop and place them in any sort of container outside with potting mix soil and let the worms breed in there, fresh and nutritious without any chemicals. Or you can buy one of those containers with the tap on it so you can use the worms poo and wee as fertiliser for your garden if you have one, I know i do! :D Best natural fertilizer ever! Im also curious, do axo's eat any sort of fresh greens? i have lots of lettuce, spinach, peas growing at the moment.. i feed my goldfish boiled peas but i dont know about the axo. :) Well hope this helps!

inkozana

Reaction score
My fish are small and move really really fast :p I couldn't get a good photo.
That's a good idea Kriltex thank-you I'll certainly look into that. Also, do compost heaps smell a lot..?

fish.png

Last edited:

Kriltex

Reaction score
That's a good idea Kriltex thank-you I'll certainly look into that. Also, do compost heaps smell a lot..?

Glad you like it, --It really depends on how you set up your compost heap^^
A soil filled worm farm with veggie scraps will not give off a nasty smell but more of a natural earthy smell ( I like it : D ), But if you did what i did before and just stack a corner of your backyard with grass clippings, egg shells, veggie scraps and other decomposing material then yes it will give off an ugly smell that neither you OR your neighbours will like lol. Hope this helps buddy!

Kal El

Reaction score
Im also curious, do axo's eat any sort of fresh greens? i have lots of lettuce, spinach, peas growing at the moment..

No need. Axolotls are carnivorous.

They're smallish grey ones.

They will be more than likely tetras or danios because these are the most common forms of feeder fish.

Jay.

Kriltex

Reaction score
I heard people feed guppies to axos : (, how can you feed such a beautiful coloured fish to an axo : P . I guess its alot cheaper and easier, but im going to stick to home-grown wormmmmms ahah.

Urgh

Reaction score
I heard people feed guppies to axos : (, how can you feed such a beautiful coloured fish to an axo : P . I guess its alot cheaper and easier, but im going to stick to home-grown wormmmmms ahah.

I will be feeding guppies to Duchess as soon as my three girls drop, and the fry grow big enough. The prettiest ones will be sold, along side my friends Betta babies. As long as the Betta's make babies, that is. :D
I'm only going to be testing with feeders- if there is any sign of the Guppies touching my poor little spoilt princess, they go back to the mercy of my boys. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!