What should I do with the eggs?

Jamesthenewt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , Its james here.I was just wondering what should i do when my axolotl (doritoes) lays eggs?
My axolotl has not layed eggs because he is a boy but i might want a girl.
Thanks
James:D

Re: What should i do with the eggs?

Do you want to raise them up to juveniles and then try to rehome/sell them? Try looking here and here.

Do you not want to deal with the eggs at all? You can throw them away, sell them or give them away.

Considering that you don't have a female, this isn't really an issue, is it?

No but im hoping to buy a female;)

Hi James,

Me again. :eek:

I got my axolotls as a boy-girl pair from the start. The fellow at the pet shop said, "They will even breed in captivity!" Cool, I thought, thinking of the zebra finches I had as a child. I should have thought of mice.

My axolotls laid eggs every three weeks. I felt (and still believe) that this can only be bad for the poor momma. I know that it is not always to be expected that axolotls breed, much less continuously, but I would suggest that if you are intersted in breeding, you should have a girls' tank and a boys' tank, and then one for babies. When you decide to breed, put one or more males in with the females and wait for fireworks. ;)

I would suggest not to make the mistake I did, and put an adult male and an adult female into one tank (with no reserve aquarium) and see what happens. Let me be a worst case scenario (as that seems to be my role given by the Axi-gods).

If you want more information on breeding, though, go to the Axolotl Site (link at the top of this page) and read "Breeding" and "Rearing" (and any other link that catches your eye :D )

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back