Should i feed worms from garden?

Jamesthenewt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, james here.I have a small axolotl that has been in my tank for about 2 months now.The water is cycling fine.Should it be all right if take earthworms from our garden?
Will i need to clean them very well?
Thanks
James:D

hi

i feed worms from my garden, to my fire salamanders with no problems.
All i woould say is try to make sure there have been no chemicals used from the area you source the worms from, dig them rather than use the washing up water method, which will harm your axolotl, and try to use earthworms rather than the tiger worms in compost heaps, and finally make sure you use appropriate sized worms.

The worms can be rinsed off with a pot with aged tap water or rain water as needed.
I think thats it, bound to have missed something, but im sure you will get loads of advice

Ben

I think you have covered it Ben except to add that I just rinse mine off under normal tap water. You may need to cut any really large ones up James. When mine couldnt take large worms I just snipped each worm in half with scissors. Now the axies are bigger they chomp them down whole.

I have had no problems with feeding both my axies over the years. I had one for 6 years and he unfortunately died on a 44 degree day here in aus due to parents looking after him when i was over seas.
Mine have loved huge earth worms and wont stop until they are completely down. I have footage of one worm that was longer then my axie and he stopped half way to digest whilst half the worm was out of his stomach then waited 30 seconds and finished off the big worm.

Worms have been my axies most loved food over the years and one got sick from bait worms. make sure you find your worms in places with no chemicals.

I have also started feeding my axolotl worms from the garden, but I make sure I wash all the dirt and stuff off them beforehand.
My axolotl's love them :)

Hiya, i agree with every one, an my axie loves them to, but i was just woundering... im quite lazy lol, so i get my worms from a fishing shop, they are normall garden worms, well atleast thats wot i ask for, and there what he gives me, i did ask an he said yea there normal earth worms.. but i was just wounderin if these are safe, i mean getting them from the fishing shop rather than digging them up myselth. And what about lug worms or such like? my axie isnt sick with them, or any problems so is just curiosity :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back