Big eater!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my leucistic Axies (Lexi) is very greedy and just seems to eat and eat, the other is more fussy and is quite slim, do they limit their own intake of food? Will Lexi just eat and eat and become obese? He looks about to pop! They both have very different characters, Lottie is much more shy than Lexi and more easily frightened. Lexi thinks I'm offering food every time I go near the hood of the tank and looks upwards expectantly! I try to place worms in front of Lottie's nose to entice her, but she just swims away and Lexi dives in, even though he's already been given his share of worms by hand (Lottie hardly ever takes the worms from my hand). I'm more concerned that Lexi is eating too much than Lottie not eating enough!!

Hello Kerry,

do they limit their own intake of food?

Axolotls are opportunistic feeders. That is, they will eat if you keep on providing them with a source. However, they will regurgitate the food if the intake is too much.

Will Lexi just eat and eat and become obese?

Yes, it is very possible for an axolotl to become obese. Obesity is never a good indication because it is generally associated with a slower metabolism. Also, obesity can bring about straining of the internal and vital organs, in particular the heart. Try to reduce the amount that are feeding to Lexi.

He looks about to pop!

Could you please post a picture to rule out the possibility of bloat?

I'm more concerned that Lexi is eating too much than Lottie not eating enough!!

Feed Lexi first that way he will not 'intimidate' Lexi when it's her turn to feed. You could also try some different sources of food on Lottie. For instance:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

As long as Lottie is still eating, you don't really have a problem at hand.

Jay.

Thanks for your reply Jay, I have managed to get some pictures of Lexi showing his fat tummy and some of Lottie to show the comparison. Lottie is the one on the far right gazing at her reflection!

Attachments

• 2008_0530firstpics0001.jpg
    2008_0530firstpics0001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 226
  • 2008_0530firstpics0004.jpg
    2008_0530firstpics0004.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 238
  • 2008_0530firstpics0002.jpg
    2008_0530firstpics0002.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 270
I was told they were born in February. They are about 5" long, they don't have dark claws yet which I have read is a sign of maturity.

They both look fine. A little pudgy is okay, especially when they're still growing.

Hi Kerry1968. I have the same problem with my 2 axie's. The one that I have that eats more does exactly the same thing as yours. She is a little glutton, and the other one I have is so fussy and it takes awhile to get her to eat a worm.:D

Mine all have their moments. You should see my youngest, Aphrodite. I was feeling guilty because I hadn't been feeding her much lately due to extreme amounts of school work, so I gave her a little extra food in the form of worms and trout pellets. She gorged herself until she couldn't eat anymore. The result:

091.jpg

The pics just don't do her obesity justice. She's so beautiful or am I just biased?

095.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back