Community living...

stanmannus

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did I see a forum topic regarding which species make good room mates? I'm sure I did but I can't find it again. I have 2 almost morphed Tiger Sals. I'm prep'ing their new habitat (36 x 18 x 12" aquarium) & wanted to read a little more about possible room mates.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about a toad or 2.

FYI: Great site ! Very glad I found my way here.

Species mixing is generally frowned upon. Read this article for some reaons why.

Tiger salamanders, being large generalist predators, should really be kept with only other tiger salamanders of the same size.

It may also be difficult to provide appropriate habitat for all the animals. For example many toads and frogs available are tropical while salamanders are temperate.

In addition to Abrahm's fine comments above, any plan to mix species should include a study of the local habitat of the inhabitants to be zoogeographically correct. Beyond the obvious risk of predation, you could also be cross-contaminating pathogens that neither animal is prepared to handle.

Thanks for the quick reply.
That was the link I was looking for. I guess the only room mates A&W will be getting are the occasional cricket.

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back