How much is too much?

aird3

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
carol
Ok. I feed my axolotls at least once a day, by giving them a garden worm. One of my axolotls had 2 worms in one feed, is this too much. Do I feed them in the morning and at night or once a day is enough, as they still seem to want more when I dangle another worm in front of them. Help, don't know if I am under feeding them or over feeding them?:confused:

This is depending on age and size of your Axolotls. What size are they? Roughly up to 10 cm I feed mine once a day, from 10-15 every second day, after that twice a week.
I hardly ever saw an underfed Axolotl, but often overfed ones.

Removed to Axolotl section

Hi Daniel. There about 6 inches in length. I was told to feed them every day, but you get different answers. Some say as they get bigger to feed them every second day?

I think at that size, every second day and if it is too much, cut back to every third day. For that size, once a day is probably too much unless you are only feeding your axies a tiny amount. Now that my axie is over 20cm, I have reduced it to twice a week as he started to get fat. :)

There is a general rule of thumb to tell if under or over feeding and that is to monitor the axie's belly. A healthy axie's belly is about as wide as the axie's head at the head's widest point - plump but not obese.

Most Axolotls are oppurtunists, but some can be finicky too when it comes to feeding.

My schedule for my three adults (each about 8 - 9 inches) is one feed every three days - about 2-3 good sized worms per feed per axie - sometimes one axie will not eat on the sheduled day but boy do they eat at the next one!

One of my adults would happily gorge herself into blissfull fat-dom if I gave her the chance - which I don't. Another I will celebrate if she takes more than one worm, you can hear me cheer from the end of the street. :rolleyes: Thankfully my third keeps to schedule and eats every time with no trouble.

My two juveniles who are about six inches I feed every second day about 1-3 small worms each - while the juveniles are growing I give them more leeway in the 'greed' department and sometimes indulge them if they want more.

Sometimes my schedule can be blown to hell by environment change such as temperature, finicky axolotls, fire, flood, water etc - I then just refer to the general rule of thumb when this happens and feed them if they need feeding. ;)

I tend to feed the axies at dusk when the sun is going down as they tend to be more 'active and alert' at this time.

Thanks guys. I have been feeding them every day. How do you know when they are a full adult. as mine are 6 inches as I mentioned, so they are not fully grown yet. I was told they are, but what do the aquariums know about axolotls. Starting to realise now, not much. Jacq you said that 2 of your axolotls are 8 inches, are they classified as full grown axolotls?:D

Aird my oldest female is 11 months old and 10 inches and still seems to be growing and her tankmate who is 3 months younger then her is also catching up so its anyones guess how big they are going to be.

Thanks guys. I have been feeding them every day. How do you know when they are a full adult. as mine are 6 inches as I mentioned, so they are not fully grown yet. I was told they are, but what do the aquariums know about axolotls. Starting to realise now, not much. Jacq you said that 2 of your axolotls are 8 inches, are they classified as full grown axolotls?:D

:lol: At five years of age, I sure hope so! But they will always be babies to their mother ;)

A full grown axie's size can range anywhere from 7 to 14 inches and will usually reach their full size at about 18 months of age.

Wow. I might need to up size the tank when they get to adulthood. Don't know how old my axolotls are, as I bought them from an aqaurium, both females and seem to get on with one another very well. Jacq your axolotl is 5 years old wow you must have a vast knowledge on axolotls as I'm still in teething stage wanting to learn as much as I can so they can have a long and healthy life. Thanks for all the info posted. Cheers Carol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back