Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Overly plump FBN?

Oscarsmom

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Back with a question regarding the size of one of my newts. This is actually about the newt that I asked about his/her coloring. He/she is more of a grayish tone than my others.
Well, he/she is also now looking more plump. I tried to capture some decent pics...

Betterpics015.jpg

Betterpics017.jpg

Betterpics017.jpg

Betterpics008.jpg

Not so plump newt

Betterpics012.jpg

For fun, snail going to town

Betterpics010.jpg

Should I be concerned with her plumpness??? They are fed blood worms normally one-two cubes a day. Keep in mind that I have four snails as well and they also eat some blood worms.

Thanks!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Don´t worry, that´s a healthy animal. In fact my female is quite plumpier and she is as healthy as she could be, so keep feeding them well.

Steve Roman

Reaction score
She doesn't look too plump to me, but rather well fed. If you are concerned you could increase her feeding intervals some and see if she slims down a little.

Lasher

Reaction score
She looks a healthy to me, no need to crack out the slimfast.
I do think you may be over feeding a bit(I've been guilty of this in the past with orientalis, they're such gluttons), I would recommend cutting back to two cubes every other day.

oregon newt

Reaction score
I'll tell me when my t. grans come up to me with the eyes I really want to give them a treat. Good thing I hate cutting the worms or else my little guys would look like tigers. Dang snail is trying to hog the camera.;)

ButtercupSaiyan

Reaction score
That looks like a very healthy newt to me, my Eastern Newt Truffles is around that girth. Its probably just well-fed and adjusted—always better than malnourished and stressed! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!