Help

Sassylilmiss

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi i have a tiger salamander which when i bought it i was told it was a waterdog who would live in water for the rest of his life, now hes is changing and i have no idea what to do! what i would like to know is when do i change his tank, when do i change his food, what should i put in his tank, and what would be the best thing to feed him.

Thank you so much that article helped alot!!! i still have one remaning question when should i transition his tank. right now i have the tank sitting at half (water) and an area for him to get out and sit on a rock, when should all the water come out and topsoil put in?

When the gill stubs are gone, and the animal spends more time out of the water, it's time to move to a terrestrial tank.

thanks for the help hes loving his new home! i just have one final question when we bought him the petstore owner said to feed him pellets apoun readin the article i have started to feed him crickets but he just wont eat, what should i do

It's normal for them to not eat for a few days after morphing. After all, it's a big change! I suggest trying earthworms, as they're more nutritious, and easier to catch than crickets. Take a nightcrawler (you may have to cut one into bite-sized pieces), and drop it in front of its face. If it doesn't eat, just give it time where it's quiet and dark, and try not to hover over the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back