Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stream water?

LeanneT

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is safe to use stream water for axies? The stream is fresh water, it comes straight from a mountian nearby.

any help will be much appreciated!

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Leanne and welcome to the site.

In answer to your question, not without having it tested first.

In their native wild habitat when it existed, axolotls lived in Glacial fed mountain streams and lakes. So in theory there shouldn't be a problem.

However before you use stream water you need to be sure that no man made additives have found there way into the stream (leachates or other pollutants). Get a water sample tested and then you will know for sure

LeanneT

Reaction score
Hey thanks for that,

I just tested the water

pH = 6.0
ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0.25

Is this ok?

Kal El

Reaction score
Hello Leanne,

pH = 6.0
ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0.25

These parameters aren't suitable for an axolotl because it is on the acidic side, and also the presence of nitrite does not help the situation.

In their native wild habitat when it existed, axolotls lived in Glacial fed mountain streams and lakes. So in theory there shouldn't be a problem.

I have to disagree with you on this one- sorry matey. The water can be tested for its parameters and so forth but there is no way (without microscopic analysis) in determining whether there are any critters or pathogens in the stream water that could effect/harm the axolotl.

Jay.

Kiowa

Reaction score
Hello

I agree with Jay, the pH level can be solved by adding salts excluding Iodized salts ( roughly 1 tea spoon per gallon) to increase alkalinity because axolotls strive in 7.4-7.6 pH and unfortunately
the Nitrite is not good so it is best to not use the stream water.

You could use rainwater so you don't have to use Cholrine Neutralizer which is used for tap water but water hardness is very soft which can be solved by adding salts (as said above) because it hardens the water and increase the pH to 7.4-7.6. Test kits are available to check water hardness.

Kal El

Reaction score
...the pH level can be solved by adding salts excluding Iodized salts ( roughly 1 tea spoon per gallon) to increase alkalinity because axolotls strive in 7.4-7.6 pH and unfortunately...

It is true that the general hardness does typically increase with an increase in pH but it would not be advisable to add salts to raise the pH. Salt(s) should never be added to the tank- only to the bucket(s) of water, given that the water is soft.

Alkalinity is a measure of the acid-neutralising capacity of the water in question. That is, the amount of acid that can be added to water without lowering its pH level. Therefore, if the water can handle a large amount of acid before a notable change in pH; it is said to be higher in alkalinity. Basically, alkalinity is a measure the buffering capacity. However, due to its spelling/name, it is often confused the word 'alkaline', which refers to a solution that is basic- so to speak.

The best way to resolve low pH values is to use shell grit or sea shells. These substances will leak carbonates which in turn, will raise the pH value.

I think Kiowa got the two terms mixed up, which is only natural because I have done the same thing ;)

Jay.

ianclick

Reaction score
My apologies.

When I was suggesting a water test I was not referring only to the water parameters with regards to pH, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites but rather something more substantial that would have determined the presence of any pathogens, or pollutants.

Such tests are routine in New Zealand as we have the presence of Giardia in some of our streams and waterways.

I will be more specific in future

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1