Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloat in a California Newt

Fal

Reaction score
We've had it for two years now, and about a year and a half was spent in a dorm room, perfectly fine. The newt recently has started to bloat and I don't know why. So far we've thoroughly cleaned out the tank, though it feels a bit late for that.

The tank has small guppies and the japanese fire-bellied newt as well. That one we've had for a year and a half, and it's always lived with the california newt. We put fish flakes in there for the fish which I think they get ahold of sometimes, newt pellets, about 3 a day, but the fish sometimes get to those, and I think they like to snack on the fry from the fish. Occasionally we put ghost shrimp in there, and the california will eat those when it can catch them. This tank set up had stayed this since we got the newts, the newest change being the addition of the fish two months ago. We've had fish in there before, but not guppies. The previous ones had been comet feeders, and the california would eat them when they were small, though some did survive into adulthood. In the dorm the temp varied, but not drastic changes, from 65-75. Here at the house it's around 75-78. The fire-bellied newt is perfectly fine, by appearances. Any ideas for helping it?

I'll try to get pictures up soon, but I have to get my camera working.

*Fal*

oregon newt

Reaction score
First, when you said you thoroughly cleaned the tank do you mean you did a 100% water change? This could stress the newt. Second, newts of different species should not be housed together. The fish might also nip at the newts. And third, temps in the mid 70's are kind of high. Newts like colder temps like in the 60's. Bloat could be caused by an infection or kidney damamge. It might not be bloat, but constipation. Could he have swallowed any pebbles? Anyways, kidney damage is the more common symptom of bloat. It could be caused by heat stress or dehydration. It might have been heat stress that caused it in your newt. There isn't much you can do to cure it. Read this article http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml.

oregon newt

Reaction score
<Anyways, kidney damage is the more common symptom of bloat.>
Sorry I said symptom. I meant cause.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1