Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How can you tell how hard water is?

j0wwww

Reaction score
I know you can add salts and all that stuff, but how do you know how hard/soft it is in the first place? I think i have softwater. All the water passes through this big ol' tank thing & goes through salt, i think? It's supposed to make your skin softer. Dont know much about it, but that's what i have. But just to make sure, are there tests to perform?

Kal El

Reaction score
Re: how can you tell how hard water is?

Hello Jow,

There are tests available to test the general hardness (GH) of the water. They are often sold at pet stores/aquariums and often come with a test kits for carbonate hardness (KH), but the KH test kit is irrelevant- unless you really want to get complicated with the chemistry of water. Another way to check the GH of water is to perform a conductivity test. But this is just too much work and it involves the use of handheld probe tester.
If/when you do purchase a GH test kit, the recommended parameter should be roughly ~143.2ppm.

On a separate note, axolotls should never been housed in softwater (eg. distilled/deionised water). That is, water that either has no/little dissolved minerals (salts) in it; minerals are essential for osmoregulation. Efficient osmoregulation is required for the uptake/release of important ions.

A presumptive way to check whether you live in a place that has hard water is to observe the base of the kettle. If the kettle has developed limescale, it will most likely mean that the water is hard. Alternatively, you could contact your local water authority and have them confirm the relative hardness.

Hope that helps in some way :happy:

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!