axie streotypical behaviours, plz help!!!

rich

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
rich, axie newbie, help please :)
Hello, im studding animal mangagement, and have an assignment due in soon, for me to pass i have to talk about an animal of my choice, and i have chosen axolotles. I have almost completed it, but for me to pass on my distinction part, i need to talk about sterotypical behaviours and how i would irradicate them. i no what they are, and how i would irradicate them, i was just woundering if axolotles have any, and if so what are they? thanks in advance!:D

(Sterotypical behaviours are discribed as a behaviour being repeted without any obvious reason, like a lion passing, or a horse weaving its head).

Sorry about spelling, its not my strong point lol

What behaviors, specifically, are you trying to eradicate?

Sounds like an interesting exercise. I'm not particularly versed in animal behavior studies/management techniques, but I suspect you would more successful working with mammals and birds for this kind of work (the incidence self-multilation in zoo animals due to boredom/inability to express natural foraging behaviors, for example).

hi,
i don't know if this counts but their gills come forward when stressed. to eradicate this you would remove the determinig factor which is making them stressed. does that count?

Blackhawk

Hi, thanks for the replays, and ive already started it so cant change to mammels now, (altho it would be easyer, it will not make me work, and gain no knowlege, which i love lol, bit of a cool geek lol) just need examples of sterotypical behaviours, so being stressed doesnt count unfortuanatly :(. And im not trying to irradicate any, my axie is fine :), i just have to write about what they are, and how id get rid of them. im thinking more along the lines of like when a fish gulbs air for no reason, or circles repetivly, things like that.. if i cant find any, ill just make them up lol, google fish sterotypasis, and say axies can get them too lol.

Once again sorry for spelling

The only thing stereotypical with axolotl that I could think about is their was of 'asking' for food. For example both my two will stay in their feeding areas till they are fed, if they decide they are starving both will float vertically below the water line with their noses just below the surface. I suppose should I wish to eradicate (irradicate..sorry dictionary not at hand..son doing homework ) this I would either offer food in different spots to the ones they are used to, and maybe not reward them for begging...but is too hard for me :)rolleyes:).

Ah but Rich defined stereotypical behavior as that which is repetitive and without any apparent reason.

I noticed my axolotls swimming back and forth through their aquaria in the middle of the night - I call it "dancing" as I find it quite beautiful. I have been told that many axolotls do this (so scratch the axolotl prodigy theory I was working on). Perhaps this fits the bill? I'm sure you could think of many ways to teach them not to do this, but I don't want to think about that. ;)

-Eva

The only thing stereotypical with axolotl that I could think about is their was of 'asking' for food. For example both my two will stay in their feeding areas till they are fed, if they decide they are starving both will float vertically below the water line with their noses just below the surface.

A stereotypical behavior is usually expressed under captive conditions where the expression of naturally occuring behaviors is somehow suppressed and opportunities for enrichment aren't presented; it manifests itself in a variety of ways- overgrooming, feather picking, chewing on cage bars,pacing, excessive sleeping- it's almost a compulsion.

I'm not sure if stereotypical behaviors can be identified in amphibians.

Never kept axolotls...but thinking about other caudates swimming back and forth, up and down the glass, or continual attempts to climb out seem like stereotypical behavior to me.

I kinda doubt amphibians consciously benefit from enrichment and I don't think I would call it boredom but I interpret these behaviors as the animal attempting to do some natural behavior that is impeded by captive environment(patrolling territory, for example).

but thinking about other caudates swimming back and forth, up and down the glass, or continual attempts to climb out seem like stereotypical behavior to me.
I think you are right, Joseph- but I would make one point: my experience in observing escape behavior has usually occurred after some significant change in the tank layout or when first introducting animals to the permanent enclosure. What is commonly thought of as 'exploring' is actually escape behavior, because the animal doesn't know the area.

dont know if this would count, (proberbley not knowing me but hay!)
i have been reading on a few mesages that when axies have company they butt noses, (kiss, type thing) i have noticed that mine will look at there reflection in the glass and do the same thing, but it constitutes then either walking up to or swimming up to the glass and then basshing it. thay have learnt not to do it at speed now. but do tend to spend a lot of time looking at them selves.

have also noticed that the white ones look at themselves more than the my dark one. could this be as the reflection is better on the white one.

like i say not sure if this is any help at all (i'm not the sharpest tool on occasion) but it is my observation.:D

Hi Rich,

as a noun a Stereotype is considered by the "American Heritage Dictionary"as
n.
  1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
  2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
  3. Printing A metal printing plate cast from a matrix molded from a raised printing surface, such as type.
as a transitive verb it is defined as

tr.v. ster·e·o·typed, ster·e·o·typ·ing, ster·e·o·types

1. To make a stereotype of.
  2. To characterize by a stereotype: "Elderly Americans are the neglected sector of the fashion industry, stereotyped by blue hair and polyester pantsuits" (American Demographics).
  3. To give a fixed, unvarying form to.
  4. To print from a stereotype.
So if you ignore the reference to printing and printmaking there is no reference to Stereotypical behaviour being related to captive behaviours.

A Stereotypical behaviour is something that identifies whatever breed as a primary characteristic. In fact research by the Auckland Zoo would suggest that many stereotypical behaviours are not displayed by animals in captivity.

For an axolotl Stereotypical behaviours could include but are not limited to:

1. Floating head down/tail up amongst plants as a flight response.
2. Gulping air.
3. Cannibalizing there young.

Because there are very few if any axolotls remaining in their natural habitats we can really only use the behavioural examples of axolotls in captivity. So therefore any observations about behaviour are done without a control for comparison.

Best of luck with your assignment.

Last edited:
WOW! Well thanks, guys, all of this will help, even if the examples u have given may not be sterotypical behaviours, i could argue about the lack of field obtaned research into axolots, and that all sterotypical behaviours are bassed on oppion when refrencing to axolotles?.. worth a try lol. Thanks again tho :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back