Female newt attacked male!

oregon newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Will
Help! My female T. granulosa just attacked my male T. gran. I looked over and saw her biting at his tail. Looks like there's no damage. Why would she have done this? What should I do?

She could have done it for lots of reasons. He was in her 'bubble'. It looked like a worm. She felt like it. Newts will bite each other from time to time. Unless there's attacks leading to damage (or regular attacks), it's not really an issue.

Sometimes if one is shedding, others will try to eat the skin as it comes off. This is possible. If there was no damage, I wouldn't worry about it. T. granulosa are not known for hurting each other.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back