NY Press: Toad-Venom ‘Love Stone’ Killed Man, City Says

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
NEW YORK TIMES (New York) 23 May 08 Toad-Venom ‘Love Stone’ Killed Man, City Says (Sewell Chan)
A 35-year-old New York City man died after ingesting an illegal aphrodisiac derived from toad venom, the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene announced on Friday.
Officials had released an alert a day earlier to doctors and other health-care providers, notifying them about the case and urging them to report any similar cases to poison-control and other public-health authorities.
Four men in New York City died between 1993 and 1995, and a 17-year-old was sickened, after consuming similar products.
According to the health alert issued on Thursday, the man — whose name was not released by the authorities — checked into an emergency room, complaining of chest and abdominal pain, within 12 hours after consuming the aphrodisiac, which is commonly known by its street name “Stone” (or “Piedra,” in Spanish).
The man had bradycardia, an abnormally slow heart rhythm, and his blood showed levels of potassium and digoxin, a drug used to treat congestive heart failure. The man initially showed signs of improvement, but after 36 hours his condition quickly deteriorated and he died.
Stone or Piedra — also known under the street names Rock Hard, Hard Rock, Love Stone, Black Stone or Chinese Rock — is a hard, dark brown square and measures less than a square inch, and it may be packaged in a clear plastic bag with incomplete labeling, the Health Department said. The product, typically sold in adult stores and neighborhood stores, is banned by the Food and Drug Administration and is listed on an F.D.A. import alert for Chinese herbal medicines. The product’s active ingredients contain chemicals known as bufadienolides, which are derived from toad venom and some trees and can disrupt the normal rhythm of the heart.
Stone can cause fatal heart problems if ingested, but even if applied to the skin — its more typical use — the product can cause harm including chest and abdominal pain and vomiting.
The Health Department urged anyone who has obtained or used the product to immediately stop, wrap and discard the items in the trash and, if they suspect they have ingested the product, to call the city’s Poison Control Center at (212) POISONS or, in Spanish, (212) VENENOS.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/toad-venom-love-stone-killed-man-city-says/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back