Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I was wondering how many axies i could have in this 220l tank.

newbie2

Reaction score
Size: 900(L) x 480(W) x 615(H)mm
Filtration system: External Top Filter 18-20W (450L/H)
Capacity: 224.6L (49.4gal)
Lighting System: 20Wx3

Is this tank big enough for 3 axies? Im after a tank with a stand or a cabinet underneath. Something that isnt huge and will fit in my bedroom or lounge. Any suggestions or web sites of tanks would be appreciated.

Im after a good looking package that wont make 3 axies uncomfortable.

Thanks

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The large amount of water comes from the extra height of your aquarium. My aquarium that is 100 cm long seems to be perfect for 2 axolotls. I don't think I would put three adults into it.

-Eva

newbie2

Reaction score
how long am i suppose to have a tank so i can fit 3 axies? I would like to breed a pair but i want to at least keep one of the babies that they have.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Ok I should qualify my above statement by admitting that it is an opinion, not an educated assessment.

I just checked the "Housing" page:
http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm

The aquarium there is 120 cm long and the article states that if the aquarium is maintained well, it is sufficient for 8 (!!) axolotls. So I reckon you can have 3 in a 900 cm tank.

-Eva

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Three is ok as long as you are diligent about water quality and cleaning up waste and uneaten food. Also you should ensure there are plenty of hides to help prevent territorial issues. I have 2 adults in a tank similar in size to yours and I must admit I would rather see 2 adult axolotls with plenty of space then three fighting for the best spot. Its down to personal choice.

newbie2

Reaction score
Thanks guys i think i might get a bit bigger tank and put a few more places to hide in. appreciate it.

Lisa

Reaction score
I have a 1200mm tank and it's suitable for three axies. I only have two at the moment, and may get another, but am enjoying them having lots of room to move presently. I think a 900mm might be too small for three. But if you had lots of hides and were diligent about cleaning and water changes you might get away with it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1