Size of Axolotls?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question, I remember reading this somewhere recently but now I can't find where, so forgive me! How big do Axolotls grow? Mine are about 4 months old and around 6" long, I was just wondering how big they'll get, and how soon would I be able to determine their sex? Thanks, Kerry

Hello Kerry,

Axolotls can grow up to 30 cm in length, which is approximately 1 foot.

Jay.

Just a quick question, I remember reading this somewhere recently but now I can't find where, so forgive me! How big do Axolotls grow? Mine are about 4 months old and around 6" long, I was just wondering how big they'll get, and how soon would I be able to determine their sex? Thanks, Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Axies can reach their full size anywhere between 7 and 14 inches - They usually get to the 'fully grown' stage at about 18 months.

When the toes darken in a pale axolotl or the toes lighten in a dark axolotl this indicates maturity.

The male axolotl will have a significantly swollen cloaca (area behind the back legs) - the female wont.

You can usually tell at about 6 months old what sex they are....just watch the toes! ;)

Cheers Jacq.

The record for the longest axolotl is 17.5 inches which is quite a beast!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back