Axl won't eat and flips over?

mousentika

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hopefully someone can help me. My Axlolotl won't eat and hasn't eaten in about 3 months. I'm quite amazed that he is still alive. Numerous times daily I find him flipped over, at which point I flip him back. He has now lost quite a bit of weight. Tested the water, all seems fine. He's alone in his tank.
Over the last week, it seems like he is going blind in one eye. It looks a little white. I have tried to feed him but he just spits it out. I have been told to put him in the fridge however won't this make him especially not eat? Hopefully someone has some helpful ideas.

Nevertheless, could you provide your water readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature?

What sort of kit are you using to test the water? Dip strips or liquid test kit? If dip strips they are notorious for giving woefully inaccurate readings.

What size is the tank?

It's true the fridge will not encourage him to eat, but on the plus size it slows the metabolism to the point where he won't need to eat while in fridge - ie. it slows the weight loss too.

What sort of filter are you using?? Is there any water current that may be stressing him causing him not to eat.

Going blind in one eye? Is there any sign of white cottony substance?

Last edited:
What have you tried to feed it? Varying foods and cooling down should help. It might be to far gone. I suppose force feeding would be an option but it isn't done to often with salamanders. If I took a stab at force feeding I'd look into it a little more and try a syringe or pinky pump and pump in some moist pellet food.

I don't think you have given us enough info to guess at the problem let alone the cure.

Hello.

If you can provide us with more information, that would help. Let us know ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, pH and water temperature. The test tube kits are best for measuring the first four, or you can take your water to a pet shop and they'll test it for you if you don't have a kit.

What is your substrate? How big is the tank? Is this your only axie? How big is he/she? What do you feed them? Can you post a photo of the eye?

Three months is a very long time, but there's been the odd post on here about axies who didn't eat for a very long time suddenly starting again and recovering so while there's life there's hope (usually anyway). :(

Over the last week, it seems like he is going blind in one eye. It looks a little white.

This appears to the physical symptoms of cloudy eyes, which can be caused by the following factors:*

(1) injury
(2) infection
(3) diet
(4) shedding problem
(5) exposure to toxin.

*http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness.shtml

Numerous times daily I find him flipped over, at which point I flip him back.

Having a guess here- it could be something related to the neurological pathways. But as Michael said, you're going to have to provide more information on the situation.

Jay.

How old is your axie?

you say he hasn't eaten for 3 months, is that as long as you have had him? if not could he be slowing down naturally due to old age?

My tank size is a 54 gallon, filled a bit more than half. I use the test tube water test kits. My PH is 7.4, my Ammonia is 0 and my Nitrite is 0. The temperature of the water is 68.

I feed him earthworms, pellets, krill, he also used to eat platies and baby guppies. I initially thought he may have caught a fungus or something from an infected fish, which I assume is possible. But I have never seen anything wrong externally. Only since last week is his left eye white. It doesn't look cottonny, it just looks like his eyeball is white. He has never floated, but always flips over. I tested his water this morning, PH is 7.4, Ammonia is 0 and Nitrites are 0. The water temp is 68. I have a Fluval 403 filter. Maybe that's too powerful? I don't think it's old age. He's about 5 and a half. I've had him since he's a baby. He's alone in the tank.

It does seem like his lower jaw is swollen? And like he can't swallow. Last night I "force-fed" him 2 pieces of an earthworm. I thought everything was good, but this morning the 2 pieces were floating in the water. I even watched for a good half hour to see if he in fact swallowed them. I thought he did. He's really skinny now.

Is it at all possible to post a picture of your axolotl ? I was wondering if there is something stuck in his mouth that may be causing the swelling. Would you be able to look into his mouth ?

It does seem like his lower jaw is swollen? And like he can't swallow. Last night I "force-fed" him 2 pieces of an earthworm. I thought everything was good, but this morning the 2 pieces were floating in the water. I even watched for a good half hour to see if he in fact swallowed them. I thought he did. He's really skinny now.

Hi Mousentika,

As Bellabelloo has recommended, have a good look in the mouth.

If there is something stuck in the mouth, use the handle of a teaspoon and see if you can pry it out - You may need someone to hold on to the axie as you do this.

If there is no obstruction that you can see after you have a look into the mouth, the swelling may be a mouth infection and you will need to take him to a vet for a course of antibiotics.

I've looked in his mouth and can't see anything at all. That's the thing also. A lot of the times he keeps his mouth somewhat open so it's easy for me to peek inside. There are times when I can look into his entire mouth and I really don't see a thing. I'll try and get a photo up so you can see.

I had purchased the feeder fish from a local fish store. That's over 3 months ago now though. I would have thought that if he did contract some type of infection or fungus from them that it would have done him in by now.
I feel bad because I think he must be suffering?

I would suggest you get him to a vet.

If the vet doesnt know about axolotls, you could print this information sheet and take it with you as it has a picture of where the vet can insert the needle to give a course in antibiotics if it is a mouth infection http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

It does sound like a vet would be best as I think there've been posts on here about bacterial mouth infections with similar signs to your axies. Particularly if there's nothing in his mouth. In the meantime, the fridge is probably a good place for him and may help him de-stress, and lower his metabolism which slows down furthur weight loss. Any substrate smaller than his head is too small and could potentially be swallowed creating a blockage, loss of appetite and weight loss.
Good luck.

Here's a few photos of him.

Attachments

• DSC01569.jpg
    DSC01569.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC01566.jpg
    DSC01566.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC01565.jpg
    DSC01565.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 188
The situation looks a little grim to me. Based on those photos, he looks be too far gone.

I guess in the fridge he goes for now. I'll call a vet. What does the fridge thing entail? Just put him in a container? How big? I have to change the water every day with de-chlorinated water right? Do I change all the water in the container? Please let me know.

Mousentika,

you should fridge in a container with a lid big enough for your axie, also you should cover the container with a towel to avoid startling the axie when the light comes on. You will need to change the water daily so make sure to keep some dechlorinated water in the fridge for that purpose. I also think that you should only put enough water to cover your axie, all four of his legs should touch the bottom but he shouldn't be able to swim. That will alleviate any stress he might be under.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Last edited:
keep us posted on his condition.......I have to say he does look very sick to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back