Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings from Michigan...

Salvadortiger

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I just became the friend of a beautiful Eastern Tiger salamander. He was living in a large aquarium at my work place that I had always thought was empty. Apparently he had been found a couple of years prior, stuck in there with some dry sandy substrate and fed 2 dozen crickets twice a year or so. As soon as we met I knew that I had to rescue him. So I asked around and was given both the salamander (Salvador as we call him) and the tank he was in (I think it may be a 40 or 50 gallon? haven't measured it.) I got it home, cleaned it up very well, bought him a water dish, mixed michigan earth with jungle bedding designed for amphibians and reptiles and some moss and decked it out to match our environment as best I could. He's doing really well now, I gave him a dozen crickets and he munched them all in under an evening, no more twice a year torture for my buddy. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Any words of advice to a new keeper would be much appreciated.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a lucky salamander, to have found you! He sounds happier already. Maybe he'll get something besides boring old crickets sometimes now.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Did you use spanghum moss? Because that has a low Ph and can be harmful to your salamander.

Salvadortiger

Reaction score
no it was some kind of designer pet moss that said it was safe for amphibians, I was careful what I chose for him. I plan to start feeding him mostly earth worms (nightcrawlers), crickets and other feeder bugs also and maybe when he gets bigger the very occasional pinky. Thanks for responding guys.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Be careful because sometimes products say they are safe for amphibians, but they really aren't.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want a happy tiger salamander give it a few waxworms every now and then. It's like giving kids chocolate.

The other thing I would say is make sure it has a lot of substrate to dig in - I would say a minimum of 4 inches (10 centimetres).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1