Foamy bubbles

oregon newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Will
Can someone please tell me what might be the cause of these bubbles in my tank. Is it from the current caused by the filter? Nevermind. It won't upload, but does anyone know if that could be the cause of foamy-looking bubbles.

Picture would help! but it could be a filtration thing also if your water has an oily surface that can make the bubbles appear more foamy?

hope i helped!

Foamy bubbles can mean to much protein in the water. Maybe you need a partial water change.

i thiught i heard somewhere that plants could cause that, mabye that has something to do with the protein levels

I don't have any live plants. Also, where would the protien come from?

The protein would come from feeding. Where are the bubbles and where can you see them? At the bottom, at the surface, somewhere else? And how old is the tank, do you have new substrate for instance?

Their surrounding the filter at the surface of the water. How does the protein come from feeding? I don't understand those kinds of things.

All living things and things that were once living contain proteins. The bloodworms, earthworms, or pellets you feed all contain some proteins which leach out into the water. Newts and salamanders also excrete some of these through their skin and with their waste. Bacteria both dead and alive that feed on decaying matter in the tank also release proteins.

The idea is that the more uneaten food (or other once living matter) you leave in the more protein it leaches into the water. More bacteria than colonize this food and produce protein which floats to the surface and forms a skin or makes foam.

So would it be because of bad water quality? Because I thought protein at the surface of water wasn't a big deal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back