Alternate Source for Obtaining Newts

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heather Jewett
I often look at my local classifieds (mostly out of boredom and to see what wacky things people post for sale). In addition to odd trinkets and old appliances some people will post newts they no longer want. In the past 9 months I have obtained a young male Pachytriton labiatus, 3 Cynops orientalis, and a red eft. I would encourage people who are looking into getting newts to try there local ads as a source, and a better alternative to pet shops (of course I think looking on our forums classifieds is the best place). You do have to be patient, and the animals I have gotten have all needed a little TLC, but have done well and I have felt good about "rescuing" them from people who no longer want them and from potential homes where they will just be a cool, cheap addition to the fish tank. Has anyone else had good luck getting animals from their local classifieds? I hope so, and in addition to the newts many people have thrown in the tank they were housing the newt in and the pelleted newt food (which my white worm and springtail cultures devour!)

I have obtained newts and salamander via classifieds as well. The most recent one was a tiger salamanader (not the CA tiger though). The lady was just going to let it go if there were no responses and there was no way I was going to let her do that. That is the reason we can not legally keep any Ambystoma's here! I called a freind of mine at the fish and game office and asked if there were any places local that had a permit to keep them. Luckily enough there was one just a few towns over. I love a good rescue!

I have also spoken with a number of people who are looking for newts and salamanders in classified ads. Out here, many people do not know where to look or can not find them in their LFS. It is nice to help those who are interested in the hobby as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back