Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brine Shrimp - the food that just keeps on giving?

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
We cannot deny the awesomeness of baby brine shrimp as we feed them to our newly hatched axolotls. I pondered this as I looked at my old set-up: still intact with the water in it (much to my mother's disgust lol). The last time I used it was last July. To my amazement, there were still brine shrimp in there this morning - alive and swimming! They just... survived. Has anybody else experienced this before?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure they were brine shrimp and not scuds (a type of freshwater shrimp)? Brine shrimp need salt water to survive, and don't live long in fresh water.

Jake

Reaction score
I set up a 5 gallon tank once with sand as a substrate and filled it with old aquarium water and added salt and a few brine shrimp eggs. A few months later I had 5 adult brine shrimp, but I had forgotten about it. The water had salt added to it though, brine shrimp usually die within a day or so in fresh water.

They could either be scuds like Kaysie said or copepods of some type that are often found in established tanks.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I dumped wastewater after hatching BBS into a bucket outside. Left in the sun, and every once in a while I added a bit of soup(such as leftover chicken noodle)greenwater etc. to it. I raised maybe 100 adult brine shrimp with almost no effort. My killifish loved them!

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
The hatchery wasn't aerated... it was the same salt water that they were born in. I had another look today, there's some more recently hatched brine shrimp in there :D I have seen the odd egg-laden adult brine shrimp in there though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!