Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

RIP Ren

Vicster1979

Reaction score
DSCN2091.jpg
We are extremeley sad to say that Ren passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Sorry if you think I am sad to have bonded with an amphibian, but i miss him loads. Am very worried about our Stumpy now. Do Axies mind being on their own, or are they used to being with others? We don't want to think about introducing any more until we have the water situation under full control. If we do decide to introduce another, am I right in thinking keep the new one in quarantine for a month, then introduce them in a divded tank? Thanks x p.s, is it likely that Stumpy will go in the same way in the near future? I am really worried about him tonight. He was being fine in the last couple of days, but now he is acting very strangely, and just looks like a suck on toy on the window of your car?? He has been eating fine, so is nothing to do with food. We would be devasted if anything hapened to him.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Vicster,

I am very sorry for your loss. Axolotls are so full of personality that it is easy to understand that you bonded with Ren.

General opinion here is that axolotls do fine on their own, but I have read the opposite opionion as well. In any case, yes, you are correct in first having a new axolotl in a 30-day quarantine. I am not sure why you would introduce the new fellow into a divided tank, though - I am assuming that it is because of a size difference? If so, yes, it would be good to keep them separate until they are of more similar size.

I don't know what the water situation is, or what caused poor Ren's unfortunatel demise. Perhaps Stumpy is healthier, or perhaps Stumpy is in the same danger that Ren had. I would assume that if the two were in the same tank together, Stumpy is in the same danger, and so you should watch him very closely and take precautions appropriate to the problem.

Again, my sincere condolences.

-Eva

Vicster1979

Reaction score
Thank you Eva. We haven't got a new one lined up yet, just want to make sure we get the water 100% right first, and make sure Stumpy is ok. he is still eating fine, and hasn't changed personailty wise. Thought he was a goner last night, but turned out he was probably just sleeping! Just thought that you had to seperate new ones in the tank just to introduce them. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your message x

ali000

Reaction score
Just seen this

so sorry for your loss, of course it's not sad to become attached to them, we all feel the same here :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1