Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do axolotls eat crickets?

rastus

Reaction score
Re: What do axolotls eat?

G'day James,
Yes you can feed your Axy Small crickets. Mine loves them. Just make sure you vary what you feed them.
Mine also get earthworms, mealworms with their heads removed so they don't hurt them (as occasional treats only), frozen bloodworms (can be very messy), and very rarely, frozen beefheart (not a very natural food but they seem to like it). There are conflicting reports about feeder fish, but I think your Axy would have to be quite large to eat them anyway.
They can be fussy little buggers but you'll eventually work out what they like.
Hope this helps,
Cheers.

Jishy

Reaction score
I've found earthworms to be the best. Monsters goes ballistic for worms. They are real high in protein though so not to many unless u want a very chubby axie;)

ellenant

Reaction score
Well, I think it is a common misconception that axolotl
have to be big to eat feeder fish...
My axies are 12cm and 15cm now.
I got some guppy in my tank, and had planned for the
pregnant females (3cm long) to release babies
as food every now and then.
The 2 big females made it whole 5 days.
One morning they had disappeared without any trace...:kill:
There were only two very content axies sitting in the tank....:D

bjstech

Reaction score
Hey everyone . Jishy I'm a fellow Aussie in Melbourne mate i was wondering if you know of a great place or type of place to buy Earthworms or even garden worms?

moony1988

Reaction score
hey Benji,

Thought i would just jump in!

You can get worms from any bait shop in Melbourne... but even better, go down to Bunnings and you will be able to buy everything you need to create your own worm farm (even the worms).

Worm castings will be great on the garden as well!

Moony

MelissaKenyon

Reaction score
hi, i was just wondering if i could feed my axolotl small crickets?
Thanks
James:D
Yes, they love them. My Axy prefers big hoppers and earthworms to crickets, the cricket's can sometimes be hard, but they'll let you know by spitting them out.
🦎🐉❤️

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1