Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When shall my axolotl turn into a salamander?

Jamesthenewt

Reaction score
Hi, james here.I have an 80cm long aquarium for my axolotl.I have had her for about 1 month or 2.I heard that axolotls can turn into a tiger salamander,im a bit worried when she will turn into one.My axolotl is not very big and is eating fine.
When will my axolotl turn into a tiger salamander?
Thanks
James:D

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Hi James, I think you've got your wires crossed a bit here! Axylotls are a different animal altogether than a fire salamander, although they are in the same family group (correct me if I'm wrong someone). Axolotls will VERY occasionally metamorphasize into a air breathing salamander, but this is definitely the exception rather than the rule and it wouldn't be a fire salamander even then. Have a read up on the axylotl site to find out more about our little water-based friends!! Kerry

Abrahm

Reaction score
Axolotls are different animals than tiger salamanders. Axolotls, Ambystoma mexicanum, are facultatively neotenic, meaning they will not metamorphosis into terrestrial adults (salamanders.) Some axolotls are actually hybrids of A. mexicanum and tiger salamanders A. tigrinum and A. mavortium. Some of these hybrids become terrestrial adults, but it is quite rare.

The short answer is you don't have to worry about your axolotl becoming a terrestrial adult.

Axylotls are a different animal altogether than a fire salamander, although they are in the same family group (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

Fire salamanders are from a different group (Salamandra) but James was refering to tiger salamanders.

Kal El

Reaction score
Hello Abrahm,

Some axolotls are actually hybrids of A. mexicanum and tiger salamanders A. tigrinum and A. mavortium. Some of these hybrids become terrestrial adults, but it is quite rare.

Experiments of this degree have been carried out. Although, I must admit that that they are rather old. Nonetheless, R. Humphrey crossed a neotenic A. mexicanum with a A. tigrinum, and all the resulting F1 offspring metamorphosed. F1 species were then crossed with each other and yielded 25% neotenic and 75% metamorphosing offspring. Crossing of the F1 species with orginal A. mexicanum resulted in 50% neotenic and 50% metamorphosing offspring. All of this information indicated that neotentic condition is because of recessive homozygosity at a single locus.

Jay.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Thanks for that Jay! I'm no Ambystoma expert by any means. Interesting to hear the experiment and quite amazing that their paedomorphism can be pinned to one locus. You wouldn't happen to have a reference for that?

I was more referring to the "fact" that the majority of axolotls available are not pure genetic stock and contain some small percentage of tiger salamander parentage. I'm not sure about the veracity of that statement but I thought I saw it from prominent members.

Kal El

Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to have a reference for that I look at?

Sure do :happy:

Tompkins, R, 1978, 'Genic Control of Axolotl Metamorphosis', American Zoologist, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 313-319

and also the following: http://www.jstor.org/pss/3882385

The first page actually mentions what I posted, so that's pretty easy viewing.

Jay.

Abrahm

Reaction score
I read the other forum made by freakygeaky
How did his axolotl turn into a salamander?

If you had read the thread then you would have seen that he acquired his animal from really bad conditions. Sometimes these conditions convince the animals biochemistry that it should metamorphosis to find better conditions on land. The majority of times an axolotl under those conditions will just die. His metamorphosed axolotl was a lucky product of extreme circumstances.

Sure do :happy:

Thanks for that!

infested

Reaction score
So is there any evidence suggesting that offspring of axolotls that metamorphose in later life have a higher occurence of metamorphosis, or is it more an environmental factor?

ali000

Reaction score
Basically, the only way to 'force' an axolotl to morph is to not look after it properly, which I'm sure you wouldn't want to do! It's extremely stressful and often kills the animal, if it does happen to survive the experience then it's life expectancy is greatly shortened.
You seem very interested in getting your Axie to morph. My advice to you is if you want an animal that morphs from aquatic to land then buy a tiger salamander.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Even if you don't look after it properly, chances are it will die rather than morph.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi James,

I am thinking that you are quite happy having an axolotl and are worried about it morphing into a salamander.

If you follow the advice you have been given about a clean and healthy habitat for your axie then there is only a very slim chance your axolotl would morph naturally.

So don't worry, just keep on doing what you are doing and do keep asking questions its the best way to learn.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Experiments of this degree have been carried out. Although, I must admit that that they are rather old.

The experiments of Prof. Humphrey are indeed rather old and the results were very interesting (expecially the metamorphosis-rate). Humphrey used a metamorphed albino Tigersalamander at this time (that's how the albino strain came into Axolotls - I think most of you will know the story)
Some years ago a "hobbyist-breeder" from Germany interbred Axolotls with a neotenic Tigersalamander and as far as I know the majority of the offspring was neotenic, but I do not have a statistical number and not all of the data was published.
I keep such a F1 hybrid myself, it still is neotenic (she is about 3 or 4 years old now) and all of the offspring of her siblings (F2) were neotenic, too. I do not raise any of her offspring because of the uncontrolled hybridization, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1