congo eel

axolotlsx5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
norman strothman
anybody have any experience with a congo eel. mainly if easy to raise and if they can live without any thing on bottom of tank. will have a foot long hollow log for it to hide in

Any idea of what species?

Have you seen the caresheet on Caudata Culture (reachable via link at the top of this page)?

I've not worked with them themself, but have seen some in people's collections. Amphiuma means is large and an aggressive feeder.

I only know of two species, both of which look similar and require pretty much identical care. Soft water that is slightly acidic is their preference. A bottoms substrate of milled sphagnum moss (it will eventually sink) will help keep the Ph where they like it and give them a good hiding place. A nice hollow log would be a great addition as well. Keep the lighting low.
I'm looking to purchase about a good half dozen or more of these so if anybody knows a dealer that will ship, give me the heads up please!

There are three species, but the smallest, A. pholeter, is rare and you probably won't find one available. The other two, A. means and A. tridactylum, are very similar in size and other characters. I have not kept either, but have read a bit on keeping them. You will need a good-sized tank, as these animals will easily pass two feet in length, and may eventually pass three feet. Make sure it has a very secure lid. It would probably be easiest to keep one in a bare bottom tank. I'm sure he'll appreciate the hollow log and any other cover.

The first step is to determine what species you have.

I have seen sirens, caecilians and amphiuma sold under this name. There are a few species of freshwater fish that are often sold under this name also.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back