Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hot Scottish summer

Roz

Reaction score
I have recently acquired an axolotl for my Biology classroom at school and am a nervous new owner. I am worried about my tank temps in this rare, warm summer for us - day time it has got up to 21C with windows open and a fan on (in a north facing room with no direct sunlight). At night it can fall to 15C. We teach a 6 day week so the axolotl is only on its own one day a week and will not be left at school during holidays but come home with me. From what I have read, such temp changes will harm the beastie. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you cope with this? I leave the windows open at night because the room temp is still 25C at 7pm. I have tried using ice bottles during the day but worried about making the temp bounce around too much. Any ideas (trying not too get too panicky here!) Roz

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Roz,

This article provides many cooling tactics

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

14-18 degrees celcius is ideal temperature for axolotls so the night time temp of 15 degrees will not be a problem.

Axolotls tolerate with temperatures at 21 degrees - as long as the temp is not going higher than this, axie should be fine.

I have three large tanks at home - the larger the water volume the easier it is to keep the tank temps down. I also use external filters - Internal filters can heat the water up to 5 degrees celcius and in Australia we have enough trouble keeping the tank temp down with our heat waves, we don't need an extra serving from a filter.

Freezing water bottles are a temperary fix to water temperature, if it gets hot at night and there is no one there to place the bottles in - then you may need to consider moving axie to the fridge and keeping in the fridge until your heat wave is over.

Last edited:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Roz,

The method I have personally found most effective is to close windows (and curtains) at midday and keep them closed until evening cools, then leave them open through the night and morning. In doing this I have actually been able to keep the rooms almost chilly despite high temps outside.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1