Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

This is very important

AllenJones

Reaction score
So beofre i take the chance of wasting 100 dollars, Has anyone ever used, or have heard about eh site, reptile n citter? (something along those line, you can google it) i dont know why, but the thought of that site being a scam had just poped into my head, maybe b/c it was too good to be true. if anyone has used, or might know anything about it, or maybe just check it out and give me a second opinion before i go through with my order, i would greatly apprieciate it.

Plus, if i had 2 barred tiger sals, could i get a red eyed tree frog in there too?

Thanks much,
Allen Jones.

AllenJones

Reaction score
Hi Allen,

There is a recent thread discussing the question of reptiles-n-critters:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55390

As to mixing species, it is a bad idea, as the tiger sals will try to eat the frog.

-Eva
Omg thank you so much, this was such a releif, and it seems that they are reliable.
but to add, ive seen at local pet stores, they have tree frogs in cages with terrestrial salamanders, that are larger, around the size where neither of them could eat eachother, so i was thinking this would be ok with species in similar size and mail b/c tree frogs hang around higher than ground lvl. thanks.
Allen Jones.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Never take what a pet shop does as a necessarily good idea! Frogs such as red-eyes are tropical whilst tiger salamanders require much cooler conditions. Secondly, frogs will come down to the ground sometimes, either by accident or in the persuit of food, particularly in a small vivarium without room for whole shrubs or trees. The tiger salamander is likely to go for the frogs if they meet while they are there. Even if the frogs are from the same geographic region, they may end up as prey.
It would be best to settle for a single species, and concentrate on getting the enclosure as suitable as possible for that species. Try to go for something captive bred, and not too difficult if this is your first amphibian - I don't mean to be patronising, but its a good idea to have something that can take a couple of mistakes without keeling over and dying!
Have a look at caudata culture (www.caudataculture.org/cc) at some of the caresheets to find out some more about species you are interested in.

Good luck with whichever species you choose!

Chris

Lasher

Reaction score
Omg thank you so much, this was such a releif, and it seems that they are reliable.
but to add, ive seen at local pet stores, they have tree frogs in cages with terrestrial salamanders, that are larger, around the size where neither of them could eat eachother, so i was thinking this would be ok with species in similar size and mail b/c tree frogs hang around higher than ground lvl. thanks.
Allen Jones.

If it were a large tank providing suitable environmnts for both it may be, however a stated they have very different care requirements.
Agalychnis callidryas require spaceous arboreal setups with temps in the mid to high 20's. They wont stick to the heights either, many individuals are active on the ground in captive environments. There would be definate clash's for floor space and both will eat the same foods which could cause conflicts. The temperature will be too high for almost any sal.
I can give you a number of links to care sheets and articles on keeping tree frogs, drop me a pm if your interested.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!