Interested in axies

varanidboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I am sixteen years old and I have an extensive collection of animals that I keep strictly as a hobby. I am unexperienced with amphibians but I have all the resources needed to care for pretty much any (legal) animal and I was just looking for any information regarding care level and if you think this is a good pet to invest in. Only amphibian i currently have is a pacman frog haha and i thought an axoloti would be interesting. Any information and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
p.s. please dont try to disourage because of age, like I said I have an extensive collection and all are taken care of extremely well.

Most people wouldnt want to discourage you ate all :) Axolotls are not too hard to keep, are long lived and very interesting. Hit up the axolotl website that this forum is linked to for a great lot of info that can be read before purchasing one. In AUstralia (for example), axolotls get a fair bit of neglect because they are the only amphibians allowed to be bought in pet shops, where the info is often vague or just incorrect. This website, and the forums here, will put you on the right track.

I would never discourage someone who is actually going to research their potential axie first! Well done varanidboy :)

Anyway, in addition to the axolotl.org, there are some articles here you might be interested in reading http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml. The cycling (though you might already be familiar with the cycling process) and aquarium cooling methods are the ones I seem to post most frequently to new members so check them out.

Also this list goes into the pros and cons of different food: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Good luck and yell out if you have any more questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back