New tiger snaps but won't eat?

accionoctem

Reaction score
Country
United States
As some of you already know, I recently aquired a barred tiger salamander. I've only had her in my care for three days, and I'm well aware that it may take a week or two before she becomes comfortable in her new home. I'm also aware that one of the signs of stress is refusal to eat. She hasn't eaten at all since she arrived, which doesn't surprise me in the least. She's a very good weight so I have no concern about malnutrition or starvation at this point.

I have been offering her food daily, just in case she would take it. I started by offering her crickets, which she showed no interest in at all. So I picked up some live worms for her today. When I introduced her to the worm, she snapped at it twice and then turned her nose up and walked away. Is it normal for a salamander to snap at prey it isn't trying to eat?

Also, when should I become alarmed at her refusal to feed?

I've found a great deal of information on how to care for a salmander, but I haven't found much information on what to expect from a new arrival. :)

Regarding comfortability, you are correct in that it may take the animal awhile to adjust to its new home, nothing about which to be concerned. She may not eat for a week or so...and since you state that she is a good weight, again I would not be concerned.

Regarding snapping, this sometimes occurs when the animal cannot lunge at and get the prey. I hand feed my tigers. If I do not have the prey positioned correctly in front of them, they may snap a few times and then stop. I reposition the prey and try again until they snap and connect with the prey...sometimes I have to wait 5-10 minutes between the next try. I've noticed this especially with whole worms. If they snap a few times and aren't successful, they may walk away. I have better luck with pieces of nightcrawlers on a wood skewer. I use my fingers to feed crickets and hold their back legs together while placing the cricket's head on the tigers mouth - this is usually very effective.

Thank you, I'm glad it isn't unusual that she hasn't eaten yet. I've been trying to feed her using tongs, but they are a bit difficult to maneuver. I'll have to try just hand feeding her today and see how it goes. I've been wondering how best to hold a cricket for her, so thanks for the tip. I don't know why I didn't think to try it like that sooner :D.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back