Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma gracile

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of these ever being bred in captivity? I'm wondering if they are as difficult as all the other Ambystomatids (excepting Axolotls), or whether no one hears about them because no one really likes these too much. I'm just curious; I don't have any, I just think they are beautiful (from pics, I've never seen in real life). thanks-

dane_zu

Reaction score
I've personally never heard of them being captive bred. I too think are awesome little guys, and would like to get one.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jenn,
How do you come to the "people" pages, if you're just clicking around?

Also, thanks. My theory is that when they're in Europe, their inner GPS system that tells them to head back to their natal pond just says "give it up, breed here" so that's why they have all that success over there.

benw

Reaction score
Mark at Dartfrog is selling some, captive bred from europe 2006, probably as you say in Germany.:kill:

Lasher

Reaction score
Mark at Dartfrog is selling some, captive bred from europe 2006, probably as you say in Germany.:kill:

Its worth mentioning that some people have raised serious questions over wether some of the 'captive bred' animals sold on dartfrog really are. I've been told by a friendly acquaintance that works for them that they list them as they've been sold to them so its down to wether the breeder/collector that had them in the first place is being honest or not.
I've purchased several groups of animals listed as CB from dartfrog before, for the most part I have been happy but there was one group of Dendro Leucomelas which, I am as certain as you can be in the circumstances, were not captive.

Those labelled as 'dartfrog produced' can probably be trusted, I've always found them to be reasonable, helpful and honest. Can be a bit pricey though.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst I appreciate your time, willingness to express your opinion and share your experience, dartfrog is a commercial site and we don't like to link commercial sites here unless absolutely necessary (or give testimonials outside the testimonials section).

D

dj13

I just recently got mine at my local pet store. It's my 1st Ambystomatid so I don't know how difficult they are compared to others but I love it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!