British Laws

ali000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any caudata species that are illegal or unavailable in Britain?

I'm wanting to set up another tank and before I start researching a species and ultimately falling in love I want to be sure that it's available.

As far as I am aware its only the native newt species and their close relatives you need to avoid just to make sure you are on the right side of the law especially the great crested newt. Also species on cites may/do require a certificate.

Ambystoma dumerilii
Ambystoma mexicanum
(not our home bred ones though as I believe they are actualy a mix not pure axolotls)
Cryptobranchidae:
Andrias spp. (appendix 1)

It is worth noting though that some are not illegal in this country they are protected by their place of origins laws, as such laws have been broken along the way for any wild caught individuals. This could be an issue if there are agreements/partnership work between countries to protect the animals in question (EU treaty for example). I would say go for ones you know are captive bred and a less threatened species (I say less because in todays climate they are all in trouble)

Thats what I basically figured out when trying to figure out the difference between italian crested and great crested newts so I could be a little off the mark.

As far as I'm aware there arent any species that are illegal to keep(please correct me if I'm wrong), though it is illegal to collect or disturb great crested newts without a license.

Probably fine as long they all have Id cards and go outside to smoke!

I don’t know of any specific species that are illegal to keep in the UK but certain species are protected under European law and thus cannot be kept without proof they are captive bred or collected before the law was introduced.

See this thread for more info: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49620

As I understand it CITES only relates to the trade of endangered animals. If someone has imported a listed animal with the correct permits there’s nothing to stop you owning it.

With regards to natives the only one to avoid is T.cristatus which is protected. If you took some L.vulgaris or L.helveticus as pets you wouldn’t be breaking the law (not that I’m condoning that; they’re best left in the wild). You are not permitted to sell wild collected native newts.

theres 3 wild types. its legal to keep smooth newts, i have one, but cant sell or buy them. palmate newts cant be sold or kept, and great crested newts cant be disturbed, moved, sold etc. so id advise to have a captive bred one, not a wild one.

Thank you for all your replies, it was really useful.

I shouldn't have too much to worry about then, I have absolutely no intention of either capturing or buying wild caught ANYTHING, I agree with Mark, they are best left in the wild.

I'm torn between red spotted newts and alpine newts or a salamander of some sort (not sure what yet.)

theres 3 wild types. its legal to keep smooth newts, i have one, but cant sell or buy them. palmate newts cant be sold or kept, and great crested newts cant be disturbed, moved, sold etc. so id advise to have a captive bred one, not a wild one.

Palmates are the same as smooth newts, it is perfectly legal to collect and keep wild specimens. With a license you can also collect and sell both smooth and palmate newts, in most counties.

I shouldn't have too much to worry about then, I have absolutely no intention of either capturing or buying wild caught ANYTHING, I agree with Mark, they are best left in the wild.

I'm torn between red spotted newts and alpine newts or a salamander of some sort (not sure what yet.)

If by red spotted newts, you mean Notophthalmus Viridescens, chances are that they will be WC, as there are virtually no captive bred specimens available.

Palmate newts are not smooth newts. Damn common names....

Palmate newt= Lissotriton helveticus
Smooth newt= Lissotriton vulgaris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back