Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing Larvae

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Oh come on now, there must be a way to tell the difference between males and females before they are sexually mature. Musn't there?

I was told that the lighter ones are male and the darker female. Is that true? And what was the thing about the number of freckles?

The larvae are two months old at this point.

Any information, provided and accepted without any obligation, would be appreciated. So come on now, there must be a way to tell the difference!

(Help, please, I have to choose between keepers and sellers.)

-Eva, a first-time larvae breeder

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh there is....you just have to make a DNA analysis xD
The thing is unless you analize the DNA or take a look with a powerful magnifying glass to check for the animals organs (only possible with transparent larvae), there´s no way to tell them apart. The color is not related to gender, and i never heard about the freckles but it also sounds completely arbitrary.

ali000

Reaction score
if it's any help my husband thinks our leucistic must be female because her mouth is always opening and closing :rolleyes:

Littlelotl

Reaction score
Tell your husband he is very funny! You cannot sex them at this age but you can make 'educated guesses'. I was led to believe that males are much more slender looking (something to do with the tail and body ratio), might have a little bump between the legs & have a more slender head rather than the female that have more of a shovel shaped head. This might increase your chances but it could all be rumour.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is that all those characteristics are to become apparent once sexual maturity is reached. During the process of becoming mature the youngsters suffer several changes, including the shape of their heads/bodies. Much like they do when they morph. Anyway you can always try to guess, see what your guts tell you. I always do that xD and i´m sometimes right...though with a 50% chance of being right is not that much of an achievement.

Littlelotl

Reaction score
On second thoughts I will come round to your house and pick you a male and you are bound to get a female!!!! I wasn't aware these characteristics only appeared after sexual maturity (except the lumps) I was told this difference was always there but harder to see when they are little.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!