water testing kits

ali000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know exactly the chemicals in the test tube style water testing kits for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite.

hi,
i dont know the full list of ingredients, but they contain:-
Nitrate-Acetic Acid and Hydrochloric Acid
Nitrite- Acetic Acid, Hydrochloric Acid and something called Ethoxydiglycol
Ammonia-Sodium Hydroxide and Mercury Diiodide

all of these are either Irritants, Corrosive or Toxic :eek:

Blackhawk

Thanks for that.

I work in a lab and can probably get most of the chemicals, this is why i'm interested in knowing what is them as it would be cheaper for me to get them through work. None of my tests have an ingredients list.

None of my tests have an ingredients list.

I've never seen one with an ingredients list either, I would expect specificaly for this reason. I do have a link somewhere to a comparison of three ammonia test kits which gave some basic info on ingredient, I'll post if I can find it later on.
I'd also be interested to know if you can do it, I think you'll need to be very precise in your calculations and measurements to get an accurate result.

The box usually doesn't carry an ingredients list, but if you go to the companies website you can usually find a MSDS with product composition on it. You should be able to request these over their help line too. Here's API's ammonia test kit MSDS which lists polyethylene glycol and sodium salicylate as the ingredients.

thank you, thats really useful, we certainly stock everything so far mentioned on this thread. I will try googling a bit more

Many thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back