Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sore on salamanders leg

Andromada69

Reaction score
I just noticed today that my tiger salamamder has a 1cm round sore located in the crack of his left rear leg. It looks almost like a sore left from a blister . He cant really move it well and its slightly swolen. His appetite is down. I put in fresh bedding. What can I do, hes been with me so long. Please help!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It might be wise to keep the sal temporarily on semi-sterile substrate - damp paper toweling changed daily. Provide a cleanable hide, or some wads of toweling for hiding. A diagnosis from a vet is recommended, though I realize not everyone is able to go that route. This article has some options you could try:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sores.shtml

rigsby

Reaction score
ask your vet for silvadine cream and apply it once a day until its cured, its perfectly safe for amphibians and quick acting.

Andromada69

Reaction score
Thank you all so very much. You were the only help I could find. Ill update you on his recovery.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!