Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotls died...

Rei

Reaction score
I owned 2 axolotls, Lexi and Loxi, male and female, both still quite young and now both have died.
I woke up this morning to the site of Lexi positioned on his side, his red gills shrivelled up and turned white and red vein seemed a little more prominent.
Loxi was sitting perfectly normal, everything looked fine with her, other than she wasn't moving.

I am very confused as to how this could have happened, Both died overnight, both were fine last night (Other than grabbing air bubbles rather more frequently?) and neither seem to have any obvious signs of disease. The water was clear, nothing wrong with it, the levels may have been a bit off - But wouldn't they be ill before? or at least die at different times?

I really don't understand how this could have happened, unless they were somehow poisoned. Is it at all possible that there food could have poisoned them?

If anyone could shed any light on this, it'd really help me.
...Goodbye Lexi and Loxi

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Sudden death is usually due to a viral or chemical cause. Sorry for your loss. It happens to the best of us.

ryan3640

Reaction score
Yeah i recently had my two die overnight for no apparent reason. I spose the only positive is now i'm making sure everything is perfect so it wont happen again

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Rei, Very sorry to hear about your loss, Have you checked your water to see if there are any radical changes?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry:( It is possible that there was something toxic in their food. I've heard of people losing a number of animals right after using bad batches of live bloodworms or even crickets. If it wasn't food, then something toxic got into the tank by some other means.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!